Author Topic: A message from Dana  (Read 9180 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Re: A message from Dana
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 04:23:18 am »
I would have a suggestion:

Dana jumped on me badly once or twice, can very well imagine it happend to others, and maybe even worse. Honestly I thought of him being an a..h... sometimes. Just the same way you think of good friends being a..h.... sometimes. Never thought of him being a bad person.
Justin I'm sure it's been handled correctly, and if the decision is he can't come back, than that's accepted no problem.
BUT...
PA is not something abstract but an on-line community of people sharing their knowledge. So, if a majority of these people agrees on having Dana restated, it should be as correct as following the hard and cold rule.
If those who had problems with Dana would speak up (maybe even anonymously to the admins via PM), I'm sure it would form a picture.

BTW. I believe that path could eventually be travelled by whoever was banned. (I'm sure it won't happen often, cause it takes cochones to do so)

PS: And yes, forgiveness is plenty healthy and works both directions!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:39:48 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Dane

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 08:11:04 am »
Relax, Justin. I had not seen the banning guidelines, or simply forgot if I had read them (2 years is a bit of time, and it has been a long time since I read any threads about rules of conduct), nor do I know what adjudication process is used for suspention and revocation of posting priveledges. I wasn't saying nor accusing that some get preferential treatment at the whim of a moderator or administrator or PA management, as you will realize if you re-read what I posted.

I'm done with this topic, and was clear about my own feelings on this matter. I do hope that there is a difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law, however. Do whatever you guys think is best. Happy New Year.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline boo

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 11:11:39 am »
Posted by: Scott D  "  I don't know Dana personally, but it is obvious that this place is important to him and that he's sorry for his actions.  He seems to care about this place and people realize that.. which is why other members are voicing an opinion to see him reinstated. What's the worst thing that could happen? Maybe he'd get drunk and type some things that he shouldn't?  It's only as big of a deal as we choose to make it.  If he goes back to his old ways, he can be re suspended easy enough.  In my opinion, it's good to offer forgiveness to someone who is sincerely sorry and sincerely trying to make amends for their actions.....even if they've had multiple chances already.....if the rules won't allow for that...... then maybe the rules could be adjusted to allow for human judgment in banning.  This is just my honest opinion,  I'm not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. "

I couldn't have said it better, matter of fact, this is what I've been wanting to say for the last two days but couldn't put it into words. The way I see it, Dana is a different person now. He has hit rock bottom and has started over. I feel like the new person should have a new chance until he proves he hasn't changed.
Boo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 12:35:31 pm »
To all concerned...
  We the mods and admins(and owners) fret over having to ban anybody and only a very few have banned since PA has been on line. They were all given fair warning, a second and sometimes third chance and warned again before a banning occurs. We discuss these situations and try to come to a conclusion and remedy that is good for all involved. Most of us(admins and mods) have met Dana and most of us consider him a friend and know that he has contributed positively to PA...but rules are rules! Dana knew before he was banned that he was on thin ice and would be banned if he didn't change his actions here on PA, but opted to "try" us one more time and it bit him. I'm sorry it happened but it did!
  I sincerely hope Dana can get his life back together. If he does and can prove it to us there is a chance we will reconsider  reinstating him but for now it is what it is.
  Dana had a very close call just a few days ago and it will take him a long while to get over that and to come to terms with his deamons. There is nothing that any of us can do for Dana at this point. It is totally up to him. If and when he comes to terms with his problems and can prove to us(admins and mods) that he has indeed changed, I'm sure he will be considered for reinstatment...but until then, it is what it is!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 12:56:49 pm »
Well said Pat.  It takes months or even years to prove that a real change has been made, not just a week or two.  I don't know Dana, but with this much support, he must be a good person.  Hopefully his change is permanent, and the ban isn't.  Only time will tell. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 12:57:00 pm »
I know Dana and have met him personally more than once. There is one side of Dana that is good as gold, and I consider him a friend. There is also a side that has been very difficult for us to deal with. Many things happen here sometimes that are not seen by most members, because they are deleted before anyone has the chance to see them, or they happen behind the scenes out of the sight of most members. As Pat said, banning is not a quick or immediate action. It is the culmination of a long pattern of repeated behavior that is detrimental to the site and contrary to its rules. I sincerely hope that Dana can work through his problems, because he is a great guy and an asset to the board if the other part can be kept out of the picture. There is not a lot of point to us continuing this discussion on the board IMO, as it will eventually lead to more arguing. None of us or perfect. I have many faults myself, and don't always behave as I should. But we don't have that many rules, and they are not that hard to follow. 99% of the members here have never been warned or suspended, let alone banned, because they follow the rules.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 01:28:03 pm »
Well...I have been staying out of this one for personal reasons...My Wife is an Alcoholic...this does not just go away...in fact it never goes away...period...

Dana is in for a Long Struggle...The Struggle of His Life....Literally!

And When (I do have Hope) He gets a Grip on this Monster....He is going to need all of the Support He can Muster...I for one am on this Support Team...and will do what I can for Him...He will need a 12 step program...and all of the Local Help that He can gather also...the Closer the Support...The Better..

Dana is a damned good man...He needs help...and has reached out for it...now He just has to hold on and ride this Beast Out...I think He can do it..

Everyone that has Posted has said they have met or have chatted with....and Like Dana...the Real Dana...not the Drunk Dana....well...They are One in The same..I just pray He can get a Grip on His Addiction and be the Great Guy We all know and Love to be with...

Everyone who only knew Me through this Board...thought that I was an Arrogant...mouthy Bastard that Built decent Bows ...then They met Me at Pappy's...and found out that I am really...An Arrogant Mouthy Bastard that builds descent Bows and Knives too.... :P

So lets all Hope...Pray...or whatever You do...for Dana to get His Life together...and get another Chance to become a Brother on this Board again...you know that deep down ......We all miss Him...just my opinion...I may be wrong
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 01:53:32 pm »
So lets all Hope...Pray...or whatever You do...for Dana to get His Life together...and get another Chance to become a Brother on this Board again...you know that deep down ......We all miss Him...just my opinion...I may be wrong
Well said El D, but Ill add:
So lets all Hope...Pray...or whatever You do...for Dana to get His Life together... for Dana's and his families health and happiness regardless of all else.
Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline boo

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 02:05:17 pm »
I agree 100% Justin, that is the main concern for Dana. I dont know why i even posted on this thread, I dont know Dana at all. I guess it just hits home a little bit. I found myself in his situation years ago, and when things hit the fan for me, it was my family and friends support that got me through and to where i am today. Keeping him banded and at a distance will never let him prove himself or give him the support he needs. Please dont take what ive said as arguing or confrontational. Its just an observation and an opinion.
Boo

Offline Jesse

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 03:53:47 pm »
Personally I dont believe in psychiatrist's I think its a pseudo science. They have a much higher suicide and divorce rate than the regular population.  They like to bring up the past and give people more trouble than they already had. I say leave the past in the past and dont worry too much about the future. One day at a time. Never gonna solve all your problems so dont dwell on them. Real help comes from above not some $100 per hour shmuck that doesnt know any more than the next guy and has the same or worse problems them self.  JMO  ;D 
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 09:20:50 pm »
I've been to a couple of pro's, The 1st one was a total waste of time and money. The 2nd helped me remember that I knew the problems and solutions and that I just needed the dicipline to follow my true heart. You nailed it on the head when you said that worrying about what others think is the last thing a person need worry about.The LAST thing.   My Depression comes and goes but I know it for what it is.  Life is good  (And short)      Deal with the day    '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline sailordad

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 09:23:29 pm »
Jesse, i almost totaly agree with your statement
except for the help from above part
u thik the best help comes from within
you have to be able to identify your demons and learn to deal with them yourself
before anyone else can help,jmho
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 01:41:42 am »
 There is a lot that has gone on that everybody is not of where. Like Hillbilly said, some stuff has been deleted before anybody saw it. There was emails sent that some of you didn't see. And a few directed at the owners and family of Primitive Archer Magazine that Dana, I'm sure, has not told anybody about when he was emailing, Facebooking and doing his campaining to get reinstated again.

Like Steve said, this is beating a dead horse in the ground, and Dana's problem at the present shouldn't be sidetracked with getting back on the board. If he is serious he has a long road ahead of him, and I hope he gets all the help he can and support from his family and very, close, friends. Getting back on PA should be the least of his worries.

I hope the best for him, he is truely a nice person, but this is something he has to do for hisself.

Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 10:09:42 am »
A good shrink will do one important thing for you, teach you to stop lying to yourself to justify your actions.

Been there, done that.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 10:42:24 am »
Eric,shrinks will do one other thing for you to
They will empty your bank acct with their
$200 per hour fee  :o :o
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd