Author Topic: Happy Birthday JW Halverson  (Read 4400 times)

Offline NTD

Happy Birthday JW Halverson
« on: December 20, 2010, 11:49:23 pm »
I saw your post on the solsitce thread and figured you deserved a thread of your own,  so Happy Birthday Old Man!
Nate Danforth

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Happy Birthday JW Halverson
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 12:26:53 am »
Oh go bend your bow!

>:D

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:32:49 am »
Happy birthday hope it's a good one.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:13:09 am »
Happy Birthday and Solstice to you, John!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:14:09 am »
Happy birthday JW,hope it is a good one and many more. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:12:35 pm »
 Happy birthday, JW.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:33:52 pm »
I gave up celebrating my birthday long ago.  Nowadays I take stock of my life on this day and pay some serious attention to being thankful for what all I have in my life that makes me such a rich man. 

1) My income is up significantly over the previous year, and even though I am still well below the established "poverty line", I am eating well, can afford gas and oil for the vehicle as well as insurance on it.
2) The new raptor rehabilitation and education non-profit that I am co-founding (Black Hills Raptor Center) is off to a running start.  We have cash on hand, promises of more donations, program bookings on the schedule, and a board of directors that is fully behind us and willing to work.
3) I lost one of the charter members of the Harding County Antelope Club just two weeks ago, and the pain is still very raw.  But that just means I had a friend that I cared deeply for and that I will always have his memory to cheer me up.  Especially his raucus laughter aimed at me with my pants down around my ankles trying to pull cactus spines outa my keister because the way he figured it I arranged to get them in there I must have planned on getting them out myself!  (So long Paul, you dumb Nowegian.) 
4) I got a nice pile of osage and hickory staves in the shop as well as local hardwood staves and all the requisite tools to work on them.  I remember days when I didn't have a stave to my name, sad days, sad indeed.
5) I have a fantastic group of bowyers and fellow toxopholists in this forum to share with.  There are even several in the room that have sent me private messages straightening me out when I have been too sarcastic or flippant (and you guys know who you are), I thank you for setting the expectations of better behavior from me.  I count you as the best kind of friend, because you are willing to invest the effort in correcting my behavior.
5) I still have a great dog.  Deaf as a post and her eyesight is going fast.  11 years of good companionship in the field, under the table, or sprawled on a pile of shavings in the shop. 

No, I don't need gifts, cards, or even a party to celebrate one day.  I have a whole year of living to celebrate.

Thank you all for sharing this passion and this craft with me.   As I said, I am a rich, rich man.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 08:01:30 pm »
Very well put JW.  I like your brand of humor and am glad you're on the forum ;)
Nate Danforth