Author Topic: Felt like fletching tonight.  (Read 3290 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Felt like fletching tonight.
« on: December 20, 2010, 02:53:40 am »
Today I worked on a half dozen for my hickory flat bow and a set of five for my long bow...also made three kids arrows for my little nephews bow.

I'm not sure about the spine...going to the range and seeing how they fly tomorrow. 

Here's the 5/16" shafts fletched.  The three on the right are duck feathers I collected. three whole feathers.  Then two goose two-fletch arras...and lastly a flu flu.

These are 3/8" shafts...the shorter one broke about 5" from the tip  while straightening.
From left to right I made two two-fletch....two three-fletch...and the shorter arrow is a four fletch...all goose feathers I collected this summer.

Nothing special about these kids arrows.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Felt like fletching tonight.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 10:10:05 am »
Cool looking bunch of arrows,hope they fly good for you. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:39:42 pm »
Are those Mallard feathers? Like the looks of them>
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:29 pm »
I loave those mallard secondary feathers.  There's a Sioux arrow at the Museum of the fur Trade in Chadron NE that has a mallard secondary with that incrediblly blue iridescence....gorgeous!

Would love to find those in my stocking Christmas morning.  That's it!!!  I'm taking down the stocking, emptying my quiver and hanging that by the chimney!!! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 11:34:12 pm »
I like them a lot, they have too much soul not to shoot good.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:57:31 am »
Thanks for the compliments.

I think those are mallards...I collected them every week at a house we did landscaping at till they stopped shedding.

Funny thing is that the duck fletches are only 3 inches long but they fly beautifully.

I went to the range tonight to test out the first set.  (Mind you there are no points on these yet just bare shafts) The three mallard fletched arrows fly well out of my 45@26 hickory while the two fletch goose feathers fly well out of my 50-55@26 molly.  And the flu flu didn't really fly straight from either bow.

I didn't mess with brace height much...its usually a fistemele at least for me.  Hopefully they'll fly better with some points on em.

Tomorrow I'm going back to test out the heavier 3/8" shafts.  I'll try to take a lil vid shooting them if I can.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 08:05:32 am »
Good to hear they are flying for ya. The flu flus will straighten out once you get points on them. They really don't have anything to balance/straighten the flight. ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2