Author Topic: Humidity...  (Read 5219 times)

Offline medicinewheel

Humidity...
« on: December 19, 2010, 10:43:25 am »

Well, Tuesday I broke the little elm recurve I was working on, yesterday I broke an almost finished hickory backed hickory flatbow. Not the best week I had in bowbuilding.
The only reason why the latter one broke that I can possibly imagine was too low a moisture contend. Humidity's been down to 35% for a few days now. The bow broke unmotivatedly right through the middle of the lower limb, flawless pieces of wood glued together, no splinter had lifted, no glueline had failed, draw weight was <40# at 22", I pulled a little further, felt a sudden stacking and baaang it went. I could not even identify where the failure had started.
I know it's been discussed before, but I never actually considered it to be a problem:
What's the lowest possible humidity for building bows?
How do you guys deal with low humidity?
Frank from Germany...

Offline sailordad

Re: Humidity...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 10:52:20 am »
Frank sorry to hear of your misfortune

i live in minnesota,i believe your climte and mine are pretty much the same
its winter here now,our humidity is usually between the 25-35% area at this time of year
i am currently working on a hick and a hhb bow,i do my work in my basement.
the humidty down stairs is a constant 35% this time of year(i keep my dehumidifier set at that  ;) )
i have yet to have one break for other than bad tillering on my part/pushing it to far to fast
but i have heard of others having issues when the humidity drops this far
jm2cw
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 11:42:53 am »
If that is the case, I would never build a bow, our humidity averages around 23% most of the summer, and it isn't unusual to see 6%. It usually takes a lot more than that to cause problems, especially for hickory. Hickory does well down to about 5-6% moisture content where most others would break.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline chuckp

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:06:15 pm »
I thought hickory strives on low humidity.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 05:44:46 pm »
Than I really have no idea what happened; the tiller looked good and had not caused any problem so far, the bow was exercised well, the bow was not really stressed at that draw weight and pull considering it was 69" NTN.
Who knows...
Thanks for your replies!
Frank from Germany...

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 06:38:44 pm »
Does sound like your bows were too dry. Was that 35% R/H where the bows were kept? Do you have a temp/humidity monitor? Once you start monitoring these conditions you will notice that well tillered bows magically quit breaking......Art

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 08:52:29 pm »
Yep, I read Justin's reply.  And I understand that 23% R/H =about 5% MC and 6% R/H = about 1 1/2% MC in wood. My hat's off to him for building anything in those conditions. Perhaps he has some tips he could share with us..........Art

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 08:56:28 pm »
 Soak it in Buffalo urine and salt water to bring the moisture up a little.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 09:07:48 pm »
Yep, I read Justin's reply.  And I understand that 23% R/H =about 5% MC and 6% R/H = about 1 1/2% MC in wood. My hat's off to him for building anything in those conditions. Perhaps he has some tips he could share with us..........Art

I don't have any pointers myself but I've been keeping my wood in my house until I build bows from it and My house is single digit RH year round....Got me.....
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 10:02:52 pm »

I don't have any pointers myself but I've been keeping my wood in my house until I build bows from it and My house is single digit RH year round....Got me.....
My biggest tip is don't get attached until it is finished.
I keep a lot of my wood in the house also. Osage, Ipe and Hickory are fine if kept out of direct sunlight. If you store them very long in direct sunlight they will dry to much and explode.  Stay away from Yew when it is super dry, it is not forgiving at all.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 10:16:14 pm »
Now that's some prime info Eddie ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 12:01:23 am »
I don't think that's likely. That's the way it goes. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 12:03:33 am »
The only time I have seen hickory break clean across the back is when fungi had set it. I have seen it bend almost in half or splinter badly but never a clean break.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 01:18:53 am »
 Sorry for your loss Frank.  I've often wondered about the same scenarios as we live in a high desert region and often have very low humidity. We also have a wood stove for our main heat. I've never had a problem with it but we have a couple big aquariums in our house and I wonder if that keeps the moister enough in the house.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 07:33:43 am »
I'm with Pat,even tho the wood looked good,I have had Hickory do that,but never had a problem with getting Hickory to dry. Sorry :) It happens. 2 in a row is bad for sure,I once broke 3 in a matter of hours,made me want to quit  :) but I didn't. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good