Author Topic: What glue should I use for a fabric backing?  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
What glue should I use for a fabric backing?
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:02:56 pm »
The next bow I'm working on is going to have a fabric backing, and I did a test glue up using TB3, and was not happy at all with the brown color of the glue showing through.  Does anyone have any experience using a good glue that dries transparent (not translucent like the titebond glues)?  Would some type of epoxy like Smooth On EA-40 be suitable?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What glue should I use for a fabric backing?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 01:08:38 pm »
Any white carpenters glue will work also, enen Elmers Glue-all. You want the glue to completely saturate the cloth for full strength. You can paint over the backing if you don't like the finished color.
  I've never tried epoxies for backings so I can't help you there.  It is not the glue and it is not the backing material but the combination of the two that makes a good backing. Some folks don't think that brown paper will make a good backing but if you think how paper is made, a mish mash of wood fibers, and saturate it with glue it acts like a solid reinforsed material and not just paper and glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 01:17:09 pm »
Thanks Pat.  I should have mentioned that the purpose of the this backing is strictly cosmetic, so painting it would totally defeat the purpose.  Which is why I'm looking to use something that dries totally transparent, and is flexible enough to use on a bow.  I know from experience that some epoxies can be somewhat brittle, but I have no experience with the EA-40 that is commonly used for bowmaking.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 01:28:57 pm »
Do an expereiment with white carpenters glue and see if those results are not OK. It will affect the color somewhat but the design should shown through god enough. Get the glue on the surface as smooth and thin as possible for the best results.
  Even go as far as adding the finish to the test so you get the true picture of the end result.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 01:54:48 pm »
I have always used either Elmers Carpenters Glue...or TiteBond....just water it down some so that it soaks in well...you want total penetration...put a couple coats on to make sure that you fill all the Pores in the Cloth.....I have never had it block out the Patterns in the Cloth before...and I have also put this over painted Cloth surfaces too with no Ill Effects.
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 02:22:53 pm »
Sounds good.  I know that TB3 leaves a brownish finish, but I'll have to try some Elmers or maybe TB1.  Thanks for the tip on watering it down, that never occurred to me.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 03:52:25 pm »
I've use Titebond 2 because it is water resistant. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:03:07 pm »
I too have noticed the issue with Titebond III coloring a backing. I have used natural colored linen and had the TIII give it an ugly brown tint. I've since gone back to using Titebond II since it's still water resistant, just not as resistant as Titebond III. I figure the water resistance that doesn't matter much if you're painting the bow with some kind of clear finish. I've found that the Titebond II gives a pretty translucent finish, but as others have mentioned, plain old Elmer's white glue will dry completely clear and though it's not water resistant it shouldn't be an issue when a waterproof clear finish is put on over it.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 10:44:49 pm »
That's what I was thinking of trying, just plain old white glue.  I'm not concerned about it being water proof because it will have a satin polyurethane finish, and that's waterproof enough for me. 

I also had a hunch that TB2 would have a bit of color yet when it dries.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 12:14:05 am »
Get some boatrbuilding Epoxy if you want a clear finish. Most of those Epoxies are not actually very brittle.
 You can also thin regular 2 ton Epoxy with an Epoxy thinner and use that.

Offline cracker

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 09:29:14 am »
I use tight bond III just because it's always handy around my shop. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 09:48:36 am »
I second PatM's advice. I just finished up a little walnut bow for my daughter and had some pretty pink ribbon I wanted to back it with. I used 60 min epoxy for that. It worked great.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »
I have plenty of faith in Elmers White School Glue.  I built a subwoofer box using only white school glue...no screws.  MDF material.  None of my friends could pull it apart.  Surprised the heck out of me of its strength...its still a pva glue.

I had to toss the box 15 feet in the air and let it land on concrete just to break it....and when it broke it broke at the MDF not the glue line.