Author Topic: journey to cumberland  (Read 16205 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: journey to cumberland
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2011, 07:07:30 pm »
I'm exited :)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline TRACY

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »
Awesome determination and drive! I'm really engaged in this thread and the outcome of this fine experiment.

Thanks, Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2011, 09:24:48 pm »
thanks tracy its definetly a journey  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2011, 12:06:48 pm »
sticking with this method. broke todays piece but produced very long flutes. break occured at weak point in ridge. need to stick to 2 to 1 ratio and get better ridge development. need to work on anvils too.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2011, 02:35:38 pm »
Jamie you also need slight convexity from the base to the tip.
ie. the base and tip need to be a little thinner the the mid section pre flute.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline rwaterman00

« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2011, 05:25:33 pm »
this thread is awsome. i suck at fluting.
keep it comming

Offline jamie

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2011, 08:48:59 pm »
good day today. able to drive some beautiful flutes with the sapling jigs. still bugs to work out. having a tough time finishing a point becasuse of a number of reasons. i think , like jesse said. a point of this time needs a stone with a very high silica rate. however at this point even the broken pieces are teaching me . i'll get pics up tomorrow of the jig and the fluteing that has been done. i have high hopes for this technique and came up with another idea using bone that i want to try. till then i'll be bifacing. peace

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:53 am »
these are the pieces that have run through the jig. all have faults but im impressed with this set and think with fine tuning of everything i can flute a 5 inch cumberland to the tip. at the moment shape is still of no concern. im more interested in reading the flute after each one has been done . also what type of stone likes what. i.e. its still an experiment. , i'll worry about "pretty" later. the first piece of novaculite on left was the first piece to go through the kig. the jig wasnt stable and the piece rolled after i struck lever. running a flute down the left side about 3.5". at first i thought it was a failure untill i realised how far it traveled and through the fractures and steps it traveled. the second piece is george town . nipple and ridge where very good and only pressure was used on the first side. excellnt 3.25" flute. it broke in  the jig when i applied to much force. think the nipple needed to be better. last piece of novaculite on right stayed together and will be left as is. flutes good on both sides . there are two fractures in it and i think if i tried to clean it up it will break. also fractured the tip while doing the second flute. this piece was done with pressure only.

the next two pieces are burlington. large and thick. 4.25" flutes. big one snapped when i struck lever. the thinner piece was all pressure and im going to clean it up some and drive a flute back from the tip . then if it stays together ill flute other side.

one thing i found yesterday is that the width of the flute is more affected by nipple size . a narrow nipple will drive a thinner flute if ridge development is good. still need to refine all techniques. i'll take pics of jig today and try to take a video this weekend of how im using it so jesse can offer some advice to refinement. gonna do some more chipping before i have to go plow away the snow. peace

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2011, 08:50:36 pm »
Looks Very good Jamie!
 Yes your nipple has to be just right. I dress mine up with a horse shoe nail notcher.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2011, 10:09:35 am »
I was looking online and seen this on ebay sell as a old cumberland.
Its not broke like they say, its just not finished. I have some look allot like this just after fluting.
Freekin cool, Its good to know i make them the same way they did.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2011, 10:10:42 am »
other  pics of old cumberland preform
Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2011, 10:12:05 am »
Jamie, notice the whats left of the cross section in the last photo.
I'd say its flawless ;)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2011, 11:35:23 am »
awesome awesome awesome. that is exactly what i needed. that first photo looks like there is gonna be a two ended flute

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2011, 12:51:50 pm »
I'v never seen a two ended flute.
 I dont think thats a nipple for a flute. Looks like its just the apex of the cross section left over from were the flut on the other side rolled off the tip.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2011, 02:24:38 pm »
Is there a possibility that you could flute from the tip also?  Then finish the point? Or will it dive in at the other flute and break the point? I dont know anything about fluting just thought I would ask.

Tell
Tell Riley