Author Topic: journey to cumberland  (Read 16631 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: journey to cumberland
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2010, 09:51:13 am »
Cool thread,looking forward to seeing the final out come. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2010, 12:17:51 am »
Hey brother let me know if u need any info I use a simple leverage jig called the guillotine jig as simple as it gets!  i CAN GIVE U CLOSE UPS OR SPECS!  TTYL or give me a call...Meryy XMAS!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 06:45:03 am »
progress is being made. ridge development is good and even. i have a half dozen 4.5" blanks ready to flute. waiting on some more info about the climate of 11,500bp. this is what i recieved from an archeologist .

"RE the Cumberland point.  Flint and other geologists place CT as all ice-free by 11,500 BC, with the following animals supported by the vegetation for the next 2000 years: mastodon, mammoth, horse, giant beaver, giant ground sloth, moose‑elk, caribou, musk ox, and elk.  The Ivory Pond mastodon in the Housatonic drainage (I think western MA) has two radiocarbon dates - one from bone and one from white spruce cones found with the animal— 9490 B.C. ±655 years and 9680 B.C. ±470 years, respectively.  By 8200 BC the Templeton site in Washington, CT had oak charcoal, indicating a mixed deciduous-coniferous forest, which likely supported deer. Caribou bones have been found in Paleo contexts in MA (probably wood caribou). Elk bones were found in Woodruff Cave overlooking Lake Waramaug, indicating Paleo peoples hunted elk in CT as well."

im basing everything im doing on the cumberland-barnes lithics. rather than the tennessee/kentucky cumberland. also every archeologist ive spoke with agrees with jesse that indirect pressure (ie. a jig) was used to flute these.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 11:51:54 am »
Very cool info Jamie.
 I'm sure with enough trial and error we can figer this out.
When it warms up some I'll mess around with some abo jig ideas i have.
I think the #1 key is: we know the paleo Indians were hunter gathers and roamed the land. And a large cumbersome jig would not be practical.
Maybe would carry the key components with them and improvise on what else was need at the time of use.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

Re: journey to cumberland (punch fluting)
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2010, 10:22:59 am »
piece of burlington and georgetown. 4 1/4" long. both had decent ridges. both were fluted using an antler punch and a moose billet. the burlington had a fracture running on the opposite side of the flute so i decided to flute the one good side. stayed together after fluting then broke immediately when i started setting up the second nipple. the smaller flute on the george town was my fault. nipple could of been preapered more. i think the punch method has the ability to produce very long flutes. even to the tip . not sure how it would work on some of jesse's longer cumberlands. these flutes would of run much further i believe if i wasnt holding the biface and punch at the same time. im going to try and put the biface in a primitive locking device, like a split sapling, to hold it . then use the punch and see how far i can get the flute to travel.

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2010, 12:29:11 pm »
Cool Jamie!
 Ill sometime hold the preform with my feet, pressing the tip into a small piece of wood, and flute erm with a punch. My punch flutes looked allot like the ones on the burlington piece. deep flutes that end in a deep hinge.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2010, 12:33:53 pm »
i think that burlington piece would of gone clean to the tip but i ran a thinning flake at the tip and it went to deep. the flute ended right where the thinning flake was.

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 09:34:02 am »
8 bifaces made, 2 ready for fluting. gonna work on jig today. simple clamping device for for punch method. see how that goes. then i'll work on primitive solenberger jig if punch and clamp dont produce results.

waterbury, ct

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 02:04:50 pm »
Jamie:
I heard, A long time ago, that some of the archaeologist thought that a lump of very stiff clay may have been used to hold the point while it is fluted.

The basic jest of it is that you pack the clay around the point with the base exposed so you can hit it.

Dont know it there is any thing to this line of thought or not.  Just passing the thought along.

Something else to rattle around in your head. ;D

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline jamie

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 02:32:49 pm »
ive used earth on a clovis flute and it helps me get a good step termination. now that im working on a full flute i can get that freehand. i think the earth method would hinder the full flute. definetly a good thought though. i tried the punch method with the blank in a primitive clamp and got better results. still no full flute though and the same wavy termination. gonna try one more and then start the jig.

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2011, 03:07:36 pm »
Primitive clamp and chest crutch like thing might work.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 04:15:42 pm »
ill try that next

waterbury, ct

Offline jamie

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 04:17:45 pm »
jess i see what you mean by flawless ridge and also flawless stone

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »
haha yea.
pm sent.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2011, 06:57:31 pm »
im on to something big. needs stabilizing. at first i thought it was an epic failure till i read the scars. very simple to make with natural materials. only thing that would be needed in hand is cordage and two small pieces of antler for anvils. i really think this can work.

waterbury, ct