Author Topic: flint collecting  (Read 13810 times)

Offline arappaho

Re: flint collecting
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 12:06:59 am »
Looks like you're off and running now, Iowa. :)
Keep up the good work! I like hearing about you going for the"layers" or
parts of the rock you want to work.
Also, while you're out collecting rock, keep your eye out for some good river rounded
cobbles of hardstone or quartzite to use as hammerstones to add to your tool kit.
Big ones for spalling the big rocks and smaller ones for an abrading and flaking tool.
Most of them will break pretty easy, but the ones that don't, ofcourse, are the ones to hold on to.
Joe

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 12:37:21 am »
Your doing great Iowa! As afore mentioned, use hammerstones of different sizes for the big spalling and antler for the fine work. I personally like copper boppers for smaller percussion but that's how I learned. I have used antler for smaller percussion but prefer copper but I still use stones for the big stuff - maybe cause my biggest copper is only sooo big ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 07:36:05 am »
OK I will look for hammer stones this morning when I go out. The stone that you are talking about are they they made of the same material that the Indians made axe heads from. The material I see in the axe heads looks like black stone. Could you or someone post a pick of the stone you are tallking about. I guess I could also goggle it but you real never know what your getting that way. A member sent me in the mail a gift of copper boppers and deer antler tools and a pulley and rope for tillering my bow so I am very appreciative and cant wait to try them out today. I be hammering on stone right now but the wife would hammer on me for making noise at 5am.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JEB

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 09:38:09 am »
Wonder what that rock would like like after it was cooked?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 11:47:43 am »
can you discribehow you cook them

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 12:39:56 pm »
OK I took some pictures of the flint layer in the creek I thought some of you experienced rock hunters might have some thoughts about this flint. I am sending the guy that send me that great gift a box of rocks to try. Would some of you very good rock chippers like to try a rock I can send like 4 people a sample because of the cost. I thought if I gave some flint away you could then give me some feed back on the way you think the rock works. Now you have to understand that you might just get garbage in the mail because I might send you something you would never pick up. Just MP me. I had a very hard time getting stones this morning because the ice is like mortar. Any thoughts on the pictures?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:00:53 pm by iowabow »

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 02:53:38 pm »
Give me a pry bar and a hammerstone ! Quick ! !....Nice !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 04:44:09 pm »
wish i had that in my back yard!!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline arappaho

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 12:05:49 am »
Those are my thoughts EXACTLY guys. ;D

Well, I've been doing some reading and it appears the name "Burlington Chert"
originated from that chert there in your backyard of Burlington, IA, Iowabow.
So it's no wonder you have quite a bit around you. Even tho the chert trends southwest into Missouri
and west of you, that's where the name comes from and,ofcourse, the indians have been using it forever.

Now, I found a pretty good report on the geology of the Burlington area, but you pretty much
have to be a geologist to understand a dang word of it. Actually, it's a Field Trip Guide. I was wondering
if there was any good granite, quartzite, or hardstone in your area that you might find for hammerstones,
and I don't think so. Mostly limestone, dolomite, shales, and other sedimentary rock that isn't hard enough
to last very long as a hammerstone. So I'm going to send you a PM with alot of boring info on rock.
I would love to get back up there and some rock collecting some time. You ought to be collecting fossils, too.

Interesting tho, before Burlington was named that it was called Flint Hills and the Indian name
was Shoquoquon, ( Shok-ko-kon). It was the "Flint Ridge" of that area.

Joe

Offline iowabow

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2010, 03:15:33 pm »
OK I made another discovery this has to do with pressure flaking, in the past seen on the right side of the blade I would randonly flake the stone to shape but this time I decided to follow the ridges and turn the bi face up so that I was pushing down the ridge with the copper pressure flaking tool.  It was like the clouds parted and I could see. I don't know if this is the right time to use this technique or not but how cool. the right side I did first and the left side next. I started at the tip and continued this pattern on down. I did not think at the time to push the same angle but I think if i did the pattern would be more orderly. Now thinking way ahead does this create a ridge in the center that is used to flute? Now that I have figured out something can you pros tell me if I am headed down the right path or can you tell me more about what I have figured out.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 03:25:16 pm by iowabow »