Author Topic: Thoughts on a 47" NTN Osage Pony Bow??  (Read 5868 times)

Offline 1776J

Thoughts on a 47" NTN Osage Pony Bow??
« on: December 16, 2010, 07:07:51 pm »
I may have a short piece of Osage on my hands sometime very soon, and was wondering about the notion of building a short Horse Bow that would have hunting capability.

The combo I was thinking of goes like this...

- 48-47" nock to nock
- 27" draw length (though if this is to long of a draw, what would be a more workable draw length?)
- 55# weight
- Osage with sinew backing

I know the Native Indians used such short bows to hunt with an have read a little on the idea of hunting with such a short bow.

Anyone ever go this route?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Thoughts on a 47" NTN Osage Pony Bow??
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:26:27 pm »
That might be asking alot from a piece of wood  ???  With a "D" bow, and careful tillering, you might pull it off.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline 1776J

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 07:30:29 pm »
That might be asking alot from a piece of wood  ???  With a "D" bow, and careful tillering, you might pull it off.

Hmmmm,....

So its the draw length that's a bit much then I presume?

So, I'm thinking of anything, I'd be better shooting (no pun intended) for something more along the lines of this little firecracker??
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13705.0.html

Offline 1776J

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:38:36 pm »
This was an interesting comment in regards to hunting with a short bow (from another thread posted a while back I came across)

Hey Dogwood,
       I have hunted with my Ottawa 48" and Chippewa 52" and most of these are between 45# and 50# and all of them draw at least 25". I shoot bare-bow and off my hand.
       I shoot in the NA style except that I have to use 3 fingers because of a crippled right (string) hand. I've killed more than a few deer with these bows (I will not shoot at more than 20 yards, and if for any reason the shot doesn't "feel" right I wont shoot either.)
       If you practice the NA style you will learn to use your left brain.....that is the bow will not be upright, you wont use any aiming guide (I cant even see my arrow or bow while drawing, such is the concentration on my "spot") All that ya see with this shooting method is the arrow fletch will appear on the spot then dissappear as it passes through) You will also notice that spine of the shaft has little to no effect on the flight path either.....
       They are good bows, they shoot accurately at reasonable hunting range.....just learn to take advantage of their attributes. As to draw weight 45# is plenty and most of my deer kills were through @ through....but really all the arrow has to do is penetrate both lungs and you have a quick and clean kill, likewise an arrow only has to penetrate 5-7 inches to sever the liver which will kill nearly as quickly.
       Can't speak for noone but me....I shoot them, I like them. By the way since Ishi was mentioned.....his favorite hunting bow weight was 45#. If you would like please call me at (231) 587-8542 and I will relay to you what I was taught by a couple of Ottawa Elders.
Rich

Anyone else do any hunting with the short variety?

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 07:45:19 pm »
just go for it!  lol.  id shoot for a lower draw length.  youd be surprised what a piece of wood can do, if its a good piece and you work it right.  i took a piece of red oak, 48 inches to about 25 inches before it blew up.  that was with a non bending handle.  ive currently got another piece of red oak board 55 inches, pulling to about 27.5, non bending handle.  just go slow.  like they say, practice makes perfect, if you aint breaking, you aint making, and so on and so forth!  lol
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:46:16 pm »
I've made two 48" bows from hickory, both of which can be drawn to 28" (one to 32") and are more than 50#. When making a bow that short if not designed well it will either take a bunch of set or explode. I would make it reflex/deflex as the deflex will help you get to the draw length you want with less strain on the limbs as well as keep the bow from stacking too much and the reflex will help the bow store more energy. As for dimensions, I'd make the handle 4" with 1" fades which will give you 42" of working limb. Keep the limbs 2" wide for the first 8" of the limb and then taper the next 8" from 2" to 1/2" and the final 5" from 1/2" to 1/4". I know this is very specific but if made correctly I think you could end up with a very fast short bow. I know many will differ from my opinion so take every one into account.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 07:54:33 pm »
I've done several sinew backed hickory bows in that length.  The traditional drawlength of those bows was about 18-20" and was a draw technique nothing like the Mediterannean draw that we tend to use today.  I've learned a kind of combination Native style draw mixed with the European style that works in a lame sort of way, but I have yet to get anything close to consistency with my accuracy.  I'm not at all convinced that this is not in part due to the fact that short bows are much less forgiving if imperfect release. 

But as always, build it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 08:27:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far guys,.. much appreciated.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 08:28:25 pm »
As a side note,.... who's a good person to obtain back strap sinew from?
How much to do a bow that size?? (48")

Thanks much! ;)

Offline John K

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 08:44:52 pm »
i would make a d bow, i'd flip the tips a little on it and go for 25"-26" draw length at that weight. Can't tell ya how much sinew you'd need never sinewed a bow. Here's a little Osage i made nice little brush bow ! http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,19470.0.html

You don't need much Osage to make a hunting bow  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline 1776J

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 10:16:29 pm »
i would make a d bow, i'd flip the tips a little on it and go for 25"-26" draw length at that weight. Can't tell ya how much sinew you'd need never sinewed a bow. Here's a little Osage i made nice little brush bow ! http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,19470.0.html

You don't need much Osage to make a hunting bow  ;D

Really nice John,... I was surprised at how thin it appears in your hand when you're holding that bow  Either you have HUGE hands or that bow is small?  hahaha :D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:32:16 pm by 1776J »

Offline John K

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:33:28 pm »
It's only about an inch wide  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:35:33 pm »
 You can do it. Sinew back it, flip the tips, and bend through the handle and pull it 32" ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline 1776J

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 10:50:34 pm »
You can do it. Sinew back it, flip the tips, and bend through the handle and pull it 32" ;D

Eddie,..

The piece if Osage looks as if it "might" be a bow that has gone awry,...having originally been 62" long but has an issue with the last 6-7" of the one end, so hence the idea that I may use it to try building a short bow.
Problem is,..the osage had already been tillered quite a bit,...so the full on "D" shape has been lost for the most part.  It's not completely flat, but not far from it...
would it still be a good candidate?  Whatcha think Eddie??  ???

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 10:56:43 pm »
I can supply back sinew.  I've got an "ad" on the Trade Blanket, and can supply whole tendons or combed back tendons ready to use.  You can check the ad out to see the good reviews I've gotten from trade partners past and present.  I usually trade by the ounce, and I'd guess you could back such a short bow with an ounce.  An ounce is usually 5-10 whole back tendons, for a point of reference.  If you're interested, send me a PM or email minimalystic@gmail.com.  What do you have to trade?