Author Topic: Bushman Bow  (Read 6889 times)

Offline Gaur

Bushman Bow
« on: December 15, 2010, 11:09:01 pm »
I thought some of you might like seeing this set.  My neighbor worked in Africa quite a few years and has some cool stuff she has collected.

This bow set was given to her after she spent a month with the bushman of Kalahari recording their stories.

It is a working hunting set.  The fire starter had been used.  The bag is from animal skin and there is a quiver from a rawhide.  Inside the quiver you can see white and black hair from the animal used to make it.  There are three arrows with fore shafts and iron points attached with sinew.  String seems to be made from sinew or skin.

The fire starter also goes in the quiver.  There is also a digging stick and a small spear.

Drawing the bow partially.  I didn't want to break it.  The string is attached at both ends and so it is never really braced.  Must have a bit of string slap when you shoot it.

"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline Gaur

Re: Bushman Bow
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:24:06 pm »
A little closer up of the arrows

She also has a nice collection of spears.   The bottom on is Masai, second one she couldn't remember the tribe, top one is Samburu.  I really liked how the Samburu felt balanced in my hand and the weight of it.  I joked with her about borrowing it for pig hunting.

cool rawhide cover for the spear tip

This is a Masai club that is worn under your belt.  Its a wicked feeling club with good weight to it.  She said they are also used  to kill cobras by throwing them.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:36:37 pm »
Very cool collection!  8) 8) 8)  Thanks for sharing with us.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:33:18 am »
Very cool collection!  8) 8) 8)  Thanks for sharing with us.

DITTO
RON
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 04:41:38 am »
Cool!
Hey, be careful with the arrow points!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Aries

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 09:03:30 am »
Those are all awesome man, thanks very much for sharing!!  the spears are especially excellent
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 11:56:21 am »
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!  Do you think that bow is atypical in not being braced at all?  Maybe there are differences between each specific group of bushmen.  Very curious.
They do poison those arrowheads, I wonder if those had ever been treated? 

It's a super thing to see in person.  Thanks again for sharing.
1’—>1’

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 12:22:23 pm »
Very nice !  Thanks for sharing.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Gaur

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 12:37:30 pm »
Yes they do poison the arrows.  Not sure if these were or not but I wouldn't doubt it.  My friend couldn't remember what they used.  I was wondering if the bow was braced a bit better before and if the string hasn't gotten stretched out over time.  I would think it would give a nice little snap to the wrist every time you shoot.  I think I was pulling the bow close to what they pull it.  It was flexing in the handle and with the poison they only needed to penetrate the skin slightly.

Its pretty cool holding the set and imagining going out into the bush for several weeks with just that much gear and hunting the big game they do.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 01:04:49 pm »
I've always been very interested in the bushmen.  I'm a bio teacher and participated in the National Geographic's Genographic Project done Spencer Wells.  There is a ton of info on the interenet.  Geneticists theorize the South African Bushmen hold the oldest line of human ancesteral genes.  It's scientific theory and am NOT looking to spark a debate, here!  It's just a curiosity. 

Again, thanks for sharing the set.  I love seeing aboriginal craft.
1’—>1’

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 03:25:11 pm »
Great stuff! Thanks, Gaur!
Speaking of National Geographic, they have an awesome  video of the bushmen in action - google "Persistence hunting". 
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline uwe

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 08:43:32 am »
I have a set, too. There are great differences between my and your bow in shape. Mine is more filigran and bends more all over his length. Next time I`ll make some pics to share.
Uwe