Author Topic: Tiller check on stubborn osage-updated photos  (Read 3850 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Tiller check on stubborn osage-updated photos
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:13:26 am »
I could use a few extra eyes on this tiller.  It is at a brace height of 2-3" and is drawn to 21" and 50# in the photo.  This thing is really stubborn and has been fighting me the entire way.  It has about 2" of natural reflex.

Thanks for any help.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:05:57 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Tiller check on stubborn osage
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 01:14:35 am »
Forgot to mention that the limb on the left is a little shorter.  I think around 3/4 or 1".

Offline RyanY

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 01:24:54 am »
Its hard for me to comment on tiller without knowing the front view shape. Anyways, unless its a pyramid bow I'd say its bending too much out of the fades. Right limb looks stiffer in the outer two thirds.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 01:25:40 am »
Ditto
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 05:17:20 am »
I would say the same,but also I would get it to full brace,it may look different then.I would do that first before I did any scraping. Looking pretty good. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 07:49:36 am »
Thanks for the advice.  I see the stiff area on the right limb and I hope to get it to full brace on Thursday. 

Another question.  On the tips where you file the string grooves, how narrow can you go between grooves on the bows back?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:32:06 am »
" On the tips where you file the string grooves, how narrow can you go between grooves on the bows back?", it depends on a couple things, like the depth of the nock, final draw weight and the design taper of the limb. If your dimensions are close to final design, you can always string it and put some arrows through it before final tweaking, sanding and finishing...with osage you could probably go as narrow as 3/8"  between nocks with no problems.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:39:54 am »
I would also get it to a higher brace. It is certainly bending evenly, but I would remove wood from the outer half of both limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:55:10 am »
Will you post a braced and unbraced pic. Back profile too.    Looks like the reflex is through the handle and that makes it look off coming off the fades. I think the fades look good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 10:25:59 am »
The fades look ok to me as well. The mid limbs on both sides apear a little flat. That's where I'd be scraping.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:48:28 pm »
That bow is ready for the Gizzmo. That will tell you where it is not bending right. Dean

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 03:11:23 pm »
Good eyes. Mid limb right limb just a tad flat. Fix that and gradually increase your brace height 5 twist at a time. YOu didn't say what your draw length is and what your target weight is. Be careful with reflexes they show a highly early draw weight which might trick you into thinking your stave is too heavy. Except for that right limb mid lib looks darn ood to me. YOu should be using a scraper like tool now. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 08:21:46 pm »
That bow is ready for the Gizzmo. That will tell you where it is not bending right. Dean

I tried the gizmo, but one of the limbs is real wavy side to side so it didn't work to well.  I will work on it some more and post pics this weekend.  I will also get some braced and unbraced shots.

4"-6" of snow predicted tonight.  As long as I can make it home in the morning, it should be a great day to work on a bow.  I'm going to turn on the heater and put on some BB King to listen to.  Man, it doesn't get much better than that!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 10:32:48 pm »
ok i am the new guy so what is the gizmo
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 12:18:57 am »
Do a search on this site for "tillering gizmo"  It is an easy to make little tool that helps identify portions of the limbs that aren't bending.  It doesn't work as well on certain character bows.