Author Topic: Sanding nodes quickly  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Tom Leemans

Sanding nodes quickly
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:08:29 pm »
I just wanted to share how I sand the nodes of my tonkin shafts. Sorry no pics right now, but I can probably post some later if need be.

I took a couple of plastic lids from some 1 gallon ice cream containers and cut the rims off to make them even more flexible. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of them after applying self ahesive 80 grit sanding discs to them. I bolted them together (bolt head, washer, disc, washer, disc, washer, nut) with the sanding surfaces facing together and chucked them up in a drill press. Now you take your freshly starightened arrow shaft and chuck it up in a cordless drill. (Not too tight!) Turn on the drill press and start spinning the arrow shaft with your cordless drill and force it between the two discs. It will go in rather easily. It takes a little practice, but you catch on quick. Wear a glove on your free hand to support the other end of the shaft while you work. You will have to seal the shaft now anyway, so I finish up the shaft by using a thin, fine grit sanding pad on the shaft while I spin it with the drill.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Sanding nodes quickly
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:23:50 pm »
Great idea Tom, thanks for sharing.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 07:20:35 pm »
I see someone else saw a video.  I have the same set up on a bench grinder.  Works great on tonkin, but be carefull with Jap Arrow Bamboo or you will have all noodles...... :o

Offline artcher1

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 07:54:03 pm »
Just be aware, nodes are the weakest part of the shaft and anything you do to the them only makes 'em more weak............Art 

Offline matte

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 08:40:32 pm »
I only use our local Switch cane and never really need to sand the joints other than to clean the shafts. Like Art said, "be careful the node is the weakest point" I have had them break easily with little side pressure.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 11:25:17 am »
I leave the nodes a little proud on my arrows. I sand them just enough to smooth them over. I've only used tonkin so far but I've seen cane arrows with the nodes sanded way down and I cringe too. :-\

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 12:42:40 pm »
ive sanded with tonkin too, but didnt know about river cane.  i may make a few two different ways, and see what i like..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 02:43:17 am »
I would like to see some pictures if you get the time.  thanks.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 06:13:06 am »
I learned a neat trick from a Fellow down in Kentucky a few years ago regarding River Cane. Using a torch in the straightening prosess, He would gently apply heat to the nodes till pliable and GENTLY compress the node with a pair of pliers. Works great and no sanding. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 09:43:20 am »
I've only made one arrow out of my home grown bamboo...filed the nodes...shot the arrow at a tree and it just bounced off with no damage at all.

I'll try compressing them though.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 10:41:37 am »
   Heating the node work to make them smaller.  But when ever you use heat arrow or on bows you change the wood cels.Which weakins it. On arrows this works but our arrows weakin to side ways movment.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 12:06:09 pm »
I leave the nodes a little proud on my arrows. I sand them just enough to smooth them over. I've only used tonkin so far but I've seen cane arrows with the nodes sanded way down and I cringe too. :-\

River cane is considerably tougher than tonkin, or at least the varieties of both that I've used. I sand my nodes down flat, and they bounce right off rocks and trees. Never broke but one cane arrow after shooting thousands and thousands and thousands of shots with even-sanded node arrows, and it broke right behind the point after hitting a 1/2" pice of steel. I've shot cane arrows through sapling trees with several inches of the point end sticking out the other side of the tree and the nodes didn't break. A sanded-flat node on a cane arrow is still ridiculously stronger than a cedar or any other commercial shaft.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.