Author Topic: primitive archery rules?  (Read 9156 times)

Offline Gary Mac

Re: primitive archery rules?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 11:42:26 am »
The bow must be free of marks, bindings, or decoration.

The above quoted is the bit of that rule I don't get and I also live in England.

Presumable they are trying to avoid anyone using aiming marks but why bother? Early primitave
bows contained decoration and bindings, and who's to say primative man/woman did not
use marks on the stave for aiming references.

Just my opinion of course!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 12:04:39 pm »
I shoot what I shoot no matter who I'm shooting with or what that are shooting. If my stuff doesn't qualify it doesn't matter because I don't compete...except with my self. I buy a score card at each shoot I attend to help support the sponsors but I'm practicing for hunting season and I shoot to kill not score!
  I know you need rules(unfortunately)but I'd say keep them as simple as possible. Someone is always gonna complain no matter what.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BearG

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 02:08:01 pm »
Starting to sound like a bunch of compounder.    Just kidding
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline wally

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 02:35:36 pm »
I agree. Too many rules in life already and if I ever end up like a compounder you can shoot me ;D
Really only joking, compounders are still archers and we should all shoot what we want.
I kind of agree with you Gary mac,
Insert Quote
The bow must be free of marks, bindings, or decoration.

The above quoted is the bit of that rule I don't get and I also live in England.

Presumable they are trying to avoid anyone using aiming marks but why bother? Early primitave
bows contained decoration and bindings, and who's to say primative man/woman did not
use marks on the stave for aiming references.

but I remember this one and it doesn't say you can't have decorations or bindings it says you can't put on deliberate marks decorations or bindings to use as sight aids.
Obviously cleverly placed decorations would be very hard to monitor (and who would bother to check, I wouldn't, but then I'm not as pedantic as others I think).
When I brought up this very point Gary, I was told that although primitive man/woman Might have used sight marks you have to prove they actually did. I was dead in the water :(
These discussions can go on for ever, and I don't mind if they do, but as we found when forming them you can end disappearing up your own fundament. ::)
I just like shooting my bow too much to get involved in rewriting the NFAS rules ; ) but am enjoying this discussion.
Isn't PA a great website and I've learnt a lot on here.

and hey! Let's be careful out there