Author Topic: Coon Skin Quiver?????  (Read 13683 times)

Offline nlester

Coon Skin Quiver?????
« on: December 09, 2010, 04:36:03 pm »
I'm wanting to make a coon skin quiver.  Could someone tell me how I would go about this?

Offline Keenan

Re: Coon Skin Quiver?????
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:02:51 pm »
Put some cat food on the back porch and stand by the door with your weapon of choice. ;D ;D ;D Sorry I couldn't resist. ;D  Seriously though not sure, Hopefully some can help out here. PS. the cat food dose work. ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 10:01:04 pm »
 Get in touch with Mechlasher, He has one of the prettiest, racoon quivers I've seen.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:24:47 am »
Keenan, that's funny...
Frank from Germany...

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 01:31:01 am »
once you get the cat food in the dish on the back porch
i  would recomend lay in hiding with a club
kit wont leave any holes in the pelt that will need to be fixed later  ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 01:35:56 am »
some of those feral cats would make a sweet quiver ;D  So the catfood baiting would be a win win either way.  Fortunately or unfortunately we don't have many feral cats (or raccoons) in my neck of the dirt...too many coyotes
Nate Danforth

Offline nlester

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 11:56:48 am »
Get in touch with Mechlasher, He has one of the prettiest, racoon quivers I've seen.

Thanks

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:57:59 pm »
Once several years ago, me and a friend went out for opening fishing weekend. Got the the night before and just crashed in the truck. We woke to find a big coon in our cooler eating the cereal.  We decided to pour some out on the truck box by the siding window and wait with the bat. After dozing off I woke to see Jim asleep with bat in hand and all the cereal was gone. ::)  No breakfast and no coon skin.

Nlester, please keep us posted of your progress on your quiver. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 04:42:39 pm »
Check out the "How To" section for hair on quivers. I made a coyote quiver a few years ago from info I got from the How To section.  I have done leather work for years but never with hair on hides. There are a few trade secrets that will make life easier for you there.
  Check the "Trading Post" for coon pelt if you don't already have one.  Chris(Mechslasher) can tell you where he got the amathists for the eyes too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 10:28:43 pm »
 They weren't Amythest, they were Sapphires.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nlester

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 09:34:02 am »
Check out the "How To" section for hair on quivers. I made a coyote quiver a few years ago from info I got from the How To section.  I have done leather work for years but never with hair on hides. There are a few trade secrets that will make life easier for you there.
  Check the "Trading Post" for coon pelt if you don't already have one.  Chris(Mechslasher) can tell you where he got the amathists for the eyes too.

I coon hunt and my freezer is overflowing with coon fur.  If anyone needs some, I'd be than happy to trade some.  I'll do my homework before I get going on this project.  Thanks for the advice I received.  Its much appreciated.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 11:02:32 am »
Frank(Medicinewheel) built a boar hide quiver and posted a "how to" there also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SSGN_Doc

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 08:21:19 pm »
I just trapped my first racoon, and was thinking about a coon skin quiver myself.  The raccoons down here are kind of small so I think I need to trap another about the same size.  I plan to brain tan them.  I case skinned the one and would plan on doing the same with a second one and then sinew stitch them together end to end and put the face masks up top and the tails on the bottom.

I'd be happy to get some advice or suggestions as well.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 01:34:10 am »

Nate don't you have those Mexican racoons?  The Coati Mundies, or however it is spelled....?

Wayne

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 04:26:04 pm »
I have a stinker quiver lol it's from a skunk il post pics once I get off work so you can see what I did all I used was wool thread,crochet hook , sewing awl, stick, and the stinker it was super easy to make took two afternoons

Sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995