Author Topic: Knife making books  (Read 3789 times)

Offline NTD

Knife making books
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:28:55 pm »
I'm wanting to learn a new skill set this coming year and have decided on making knives with the stock removal method.  Are there any titles of books you guys reccomend? 
Nate Danforth

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: Knife making books
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:00:48 pm »
Custom Knifemaking by Tim McCreight has 10 really neat projects in it and does a good job at explaining them...now if only I had the time to work on them ;D
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:04:03 pm »
Thanks Jeff, I'll check that out.  No kidding about the time but I'm gonna find a way to budget it in ;D
Nate Danforth

Lombard

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:04:36 pm »
$50 Knife Shop, by Wayne Goddard. Get started without spending a fortune, and make fantastic knives. Provides all the details you need to start making knives. It is the book I used when I first started making knives. Thinking the book is now available in a revised addition.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »
Also, Blades Guide to making knives by Joe Kertzman...good luck!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:45:44 pm »
Blades guide to making knives was edited by Joe Kertzman, however the books chapters are made up by different authors covering different methods and techniques. The authors are Wayne Goddard, Allen Elishewitz, John Jensen, Joe Szilaski, Don Fogg, and a couple others that I can't recall at this time. Good book just the same.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 10:56:35 pm »
Blades guide to making knives was edited by Joe Kertzman, however the books chapters are made up by different authors covering different methods and techniques. The authors are Wayne Goddard, Allen Elishewitz, John Jensen, Joe Szilaski, Don Fogg, and a couple others that I can't recall at this time. Good book just the same.

LOL, the Traditional Knifyers Bible!!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:02:58 pm »
Okay, one other question.  Will a belt sander work instead of the belt grinders I've seen people using?
Nate Danforth

Offline terence pinder

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:19:03 pm »
a belt sander will work, but is limited. everyone will give you diff oppinions but dont be afraid to try diff things and find what works for you

Offline Diligence

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 12:14:27 am »
http://www.engnath.com/intable.htm

This is an excellent legacy for an excellent blade smith....covers lots of the basics, and then some.

Cheers,
D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 12:42:23 am »
Auggie has one in the trading post.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 03:02:49 am »
Okay, one other question.  Will a belt sander work instead of the belt grinders I've seen people using?

Nate I have a 2X72 inch Belt Sander/Disc Sander that I use....and it will do everything I need to...to make a Knife...from shaping ...metal removal...to flat and hollow grinding the blades
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 11:22:34 am »
Thanks for all the ideas guys.  Think I'll give the list to my wife for Christmas ideas. ;D  Good to know a belt sander will work.
Nate Danforth