Author Topic: Stave for Christmas Exchange  (Read 12783 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Stave for Christmas Exchange
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:59:33 pm »
Why do I always do this to myself?  ::)  ...working a difficult stave with only a short time to make it happen.
  I put about 2 hours into this stave yesterday to get where it is now. I only have one problem spot that really concerns me and that is the kink in the limb. I will use heat to reflex the stave(it is deflexed now) and maybe a little for other issues but when I pull a string from tip to tip it passes over a portion of the handle so I hope I don't have to do too much.
  The kink in that one limb kinda concerns me but I may just leave it be and work around it. This stave does have a little prop twist but most of that will be removed when I reflex it.
  It's gonna be a fun one to work on and since it is going to a very special person I want to do the best i can. I'm open to suggestions if anyone is interested.
 The last 2 pics shows the kinked area as does the back and belly pics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: Stave for Christmas Exchange
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:50:49 pm »
That is beyond me!!! how to make a bow out of that piece of wood... good luck though.. you've got to be a wizard to make bows like that. maybe you are???
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 06:56:40 pm »
 Pat, I have straightened one a little by clamping on it's side to a long board. Then heating it and slowly tightening the clamp pulled some of the kink out. Just do a little at a time and give it time to rehydrate.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 08:47:25 pm »
I will have to take that kink slow and incrimentally. Hope I have time!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:11:56 pm »
You have your work cut out for yourself Pat.  I might get the feel for it better if I could handle the wood but can't tell too much from the photos. Good Luck and if any one can pull it off you probably would be the one to do it. Anxious to hear advice from the other top bowyers and see the results of your labor.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline sulphur

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:40:39 pm »
pat i've tried to work out a kink like that before.   i believe you'll be better off making the adjustment over the entire limb and a little on the other limb as well.  i do like mullet said and put the side against a 2x4 and heat the limb inches at a time and slowly crank down on the clamp.  takes a good hour  per limb.  Shoot, that doesn't look like much work for you though! ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 01:43:47 am »
The kink is the only part that I'm concerned about. If push comes to shove there might just be a rigid kink in the limb when done.  ;)

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 09:10:43 am »
I agree with sulphur. You need to adjust the whole limb not just the kink or it will crack there almost certainly. I've trouble with tight waves in the grain like that before.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 06:19:34 pm »
I don't think I've ever tried a stave with that violent a kink in it.  I'd try to take it out if it were me, but I'd probably fail and ruin the stave.  Good luck, I'll bet you can do it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 06:31:30 pm »
   I have cut the back profile and reduced the limbs to about 5/8" thick then started with an initial straightening. One limb at a time until I get everything lined up better. I got some of the twist out of the one limb and brought it somewhat in line with the handle, but it needs more. I haven'tr attempted to work on the limb with the kink yet.  ;D  ::)
   The last pic shows the results of the first straightening session.

Offline snag

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:38:38 pm »
So, are you just clamping it down and leaving it for awhile or are you using a heat gun too?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 06:47:59 pm »
Why would anyone want to remove such a nice character kink? ;D  I'd just go for making adjustments to get the tips in line with the handle and let the kink stay. Like you said, work with the wood. ;) More work in them character staves but worth it when you can pull it off. I think your the man for the job Pat. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 07:09:35 pm »
Snag, I coated the wood with olive oil and used a heat gun while clamping. Just clasmping it cold wouldn't do anything but maybe make it lift a splinter.
  Keenan, I need to get the deflex out and some of the twist but I want to keep as much character as possible. I pulled a string from tip to tip on the original stave and it hit just inside the handle area so it isn't that much out of whack.  ;)  I appreciate your input and any advise you want to send my way.  8)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 07:38:27 pm »
Looking good Pat. I need to get back into bow making. Boo has a better looking bow than me now. I have to make a new one, or get you to build me one.  >:D
By the way Boo's and Brits new bows are outstanding.
TJ
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 10:25:33 pm »
I've been bending bows in the handles lately in order to make the tips track.  It takes the tiniest adjustments in the handle to get the tips to move a whole two inches!!!  So far I have yet to get much luck getting a whole limb to bend on a flatbow. 

That stick has character...and in SPADES!  Nice stick, Pat.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.