Author Topic: Went semi-retro (not primitive, sorry)  (Read 3122 times)

JustinNC

Went semi-retro (not primitive, sorry)
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:24:51 pm »
Well life has gotten in the way the past 2 years and I havent been in the woods since Dec 2008 chasing Bambi. Anyway, hoping to be over that hurdle for the most part. Finally got a chance to get in the woods on a new place I just got permission to hunt on (about 3 hours prior actually). Headed out with a Model 94 30-30 (scoped, hense the SEMI-RETRO) that my dad gave me when I graduated high school way back when. I always wanted a 30-30 so I could be "normal" like all the other kids in school, but always carried my 270 I bought when I was 15 (well gave the money to my dad at the time and he got it for me), and never carried the 30-30. Fast FWD to saturday....

Ran a couple shells through it with the TRASHCO  3x9x50 on top and made sure it was sighted in, grabbed a folding/bag (hense SEMI RETRO...i.e. didnt sit on a stump or log) chair and headed to the new place. After a little discussion with the land owner on where he thought I should go, I set up underneath a cedar tree with a little background and break up and go comfy.

About 5:20 three deer came in. Thought I saw one mount the other, but couldnt quite tell. Well after a few minutes of playing peek a boo through the scope, I finally got one broadside that I could actually see, minus the head, and squeezed on off. She dropped right there. Turned out to be the largest doe Id ever killed.

Now I know that this is a primitive archery website and if this story is inappropriate then please remove it. I have always believed that good optics are a must, especially on a gun. Well saturday proved that to me. Granted the scope was a freebie from another fella, it's just not up to the task. I have little doubt that with a higher grade scope, even without the 50mm objective, that light wouldnt have been an issue at the time of the shot. I know so. Ive taken deer with the .270 with a much better scope when a lot of people would be climbing down out of the stand. There was probably 15min of legal light left when I shot her, albeit a gray day anyway.

Anyway, here is the picture. The largest doe Ive killed prior to this was a 4.5y/o (I like pulled their jaws and looking) 112lber. This ole girl dwarfed her by probably 20lbs. Keep in mind this is an NC deer, not some of those midwest or northern mules some of yall have lol....also, Im 6'2 315-320lbs of pure handsomelyness ;D

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Went semi-retro (not primitive, sorry)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:38:33 pm »
meat in the freezer. Big doe
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 08:02:46 pm »
 Nice pile of meat. I've done it twice this year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:19:14 pm »
Not sure if I mentioned it or not. Shes the oldest deer Ive killed. Looked at her toofers and believe her to be 5.5y/o. Got a 4.5y/o buck and a 4.5 y/o doe, and all sorts all shapes and sizes and ages in between. Guess the 4.5y/o's will come with more time and experience....Maybe the next 10 seasons will produce more mature deer :) Would love to get a mature deer with a self bow next year. This late in the game this year, meat was my only concern.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 05:55:27 am »
Nice doe,just moved it here because of what it was killed with, nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

JustinNC

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 09:36:19 am »
Thanks Pappy. Wasnt sure where to stick it. Knew Id seen gun kills before. Next year Ill focus on the primitive harvest more, like I said though, got a late start this season and had to sit on the bench last season for a couple reasons and just out for the freezer the remainder of the year.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 12:46:52 pm »
No problem,if my season don't pick up I may do the same. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 01:50:39 pm »
nice kill. i have a modle 94, unscoped, and its my favroite centerfire rifle. feels nice in the hands.
lets just shoot it