Author Topic: Britny's bow  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Britny's bow
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 06:48:22 am »
Beautiful bow Pat,very well done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 11:55:32 am »
 Another beauty Pat! ;)

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 12:37:22 pm »
great looking bow pat

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 12:47:45 pm »
very nice Pat , good gift

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 04:12:58 pm »
Pat, Great looking bows, as always.  And very kind gesture, to boot.  Any possibility of seeing some close up pictures of how you worked the area around the handle/kink in Britny's bow?  Thanks
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 04:49:34 pm »
Dave I didn't take any pics while I was working it. I did do lots of heating and clamping sessions and that is one reason I I didn't want to build it for the longer draw and higher weight that it was initially meant for. That area is basically rigid and I began the bending portion just past it. A hump like that makes it hard to see the limbs bending properly so you just have to use your imagination while tillering.
  When I get a challenging stave I like to concentrate on one area to heat and clamp. That's why I had so many sessions and sometimes you end up going back and redoing or undoing what you have already done. These kind of bows will teach you patience but also a lot about the properties of different woods and how they react to manipulation.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PeteC

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 09:13:17 pm »
Good job Pat,I like em both.I've built a few with the kink in the fade,and ,it does make tillering interesting. ;) God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline shikari

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 09:17:31 pm »
great bow Pat,you really have a nack with osage.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 11:13:39 pm »
Nice bow, Pat.  Now let's see the pics of the tommy-hawk.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 02:13:48 am »
Pat, thanks for the advice.  It greatly appreciate.  Do you have close up pics of the finished handle/bump area.  That would be interesting to see if you do.  As always thanks for you help.
Dave
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 08:55:53 am »
Great looking bow Pat! Seen quite a few pic's of you standing in that spot with a bow! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 09:55:20 am »
That's "the spot" Greg. Only place I have a clear background for taking pics. I think all the bow pics taken are with that background.
Thanks PJ. Pete and JW.  ;)
Dave, these are the best I have. Maybe Bobby can take a better one at a later date. This will be Britny's Christmas present.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 02:00:57 pm »
Thanks again Pat, that is very helpful.  Your bow for Britny has inspired me to take a closer look at a piece of osage I brought in the about 3 weeks ago to figure out what I might want to do with it.  It is an inside, V cut left over from anothe bow project.  It has a whoop-de-doo in the midlle of the stave.  Last night after re-reading your this post, I saw the bow potential :)  I got out the tape measure and sure enough the whoop-de-doo is exactly center of the 61" stave.  The whoop-de-doo already has my handle laid out for me.  It does get a bit thin one end where the split thins out near the edge facing the camera.  But, it's 2" wide. so I think I'll be fine by the time I taper the tips.  All I have to lose is a couple hours chasing a ring and laying out the bow, then I'll know what I have for sure.  Heck, I could use the practice doing both those chores.  :)

Here's the pics.  I hope I'm not hi-jacking your thread to much.  Promise to start my own thread as soon as I get the bow roughed out.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 04:31:14 pm »
I haven't seen very many pieces of osage that didn't have a bow in it. You might get an indexed grip with the whoop-de-dos in the handle area. I glad I inspired you. Feel fortunate because it doesn't happen much!  ;D  No worries about a hijack. your post is related.  ;)

Offline Timo

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 05:44:29 pm »
Nice arc Pat! Love that lil bendy spot above the handle. ;)