Author Topic: first bow  (Read 2627 times)

Offline kmshfa

first bow
« on: December 03, 2010, 04:35:30 am »
this is my first attempt.  I'm just at the long string tiller phase.  I am also fighting a pretty bad propeller twist.  I feel like I am a just barely feeling my way through this project.

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
Re: first bow
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 05:25:40 am »
If your feeling your way through....Stop and ask questions. The guys on here will be more then happy to help you out. If you have the TBB 4 there is a great chapter on tillering bows with character. That will help you with the propeller twist. Once you get rolling on the tiller, take pictures and post them. You should recieve alot of input

Jon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 07:28:09 am »
You look like you have a good start,just take your time and like Jon said ask questions,check out some build alongs here and also Jawges has a great site that will help you along.Nothing like your first,it's a great feeling when you get your first shooter. Good luck. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 07:32:08 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kmshfa

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 04:10:26 pm »
This bows twists in both limbs in opposite directions.  I was wondering...do I tiller the twist out at full draw by taking meat off the high side?  I have been doing that a bit and it seems to make the limbs noticeably thicker on one side.  Will this have adverse side effects while shooting?  The other two options I see are ignoring and making limbs equal thickness side to side or trying to steam the bow and take them out.  I have tried dry heat with a heat gun with little success.
In this process what has surprised me the most is how fast time goes by while making shavings.  After my kids go to bed I have often go to my basement to work on this bow.  Three in the morning comes so fast!

Cacatch

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:00:48 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what wood is it?

CP

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 06:51:27 pm »
with a heat gun and some clamps some shims and a straight board to clamp to
you can take that prop twist out,or leave it
if it isnt severe it shouldnt hurt any thing
ive made many,plus my current one,with prop twist

i too would like to know what wood it is,,length width etc etc etc   ;)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 07:39:02 pm »
Is the stave naturally twisted or did you cause it by uneven wood removal? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline kmshfa

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 12:49:34 am »
The stave is from a hackberrry I cut and quartered.  I think the twist came from using the log too close to the base where the tree was pretty much square. It is just how it split.  I was going to say forget it but decided...oh well, nothing to lose and started carving. The bow is now about 2" wide and tapers down to 3/4".  It is about 6' long a bit shorter nock to nock.  The handle is about 1 3/4 wide.  I brought the wood down a few rings on the back and chased one.  One end of the bow is a much darker and seemingly more dense wood.  I hope that I can make something of it.  So far everything is looking pretty good.   
I will try to post some pics from time to time. 

Offline kmshfa

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 01:24:31 am »
I have this unit worked down to pulling about 50# at about 17" with 1" brace height.  Ill try to post some pictures tomorrow evening to get some input.  I'm not very technologically savy so posting pictures is the hardest part of the project.  I'm about 6' with long arms so I have a bit to go.  Shooting for 28-29" draw and 55#.