Author Topic: Obsidian Help  (Read 4614 times)

Offline Ian Schmidt

Obsidian Help
« on: December 03, 2010, 12:14:48 am »
Ok... I don't know if this has been asked before but I need an answer. I have been trying to make some nice 4-5inch obsidian bifaces and arrowheads, but I cannot find a way to knock out any usable pieces. I have lots of perfect mahogany obsidian, but they are too small to knock a spall out without wasting the entire piece. I was looking on ebay and found some knife blanks that appeared to have been cut with some sort of saw. Is there a way to cut obsidian into blanks that the average person would be able to do? What kind of saw? Tile? I really like the pieces I have, and wouldn't want to waste them with a bad hit.
"Call them wheels, or call them cams. I don't care. All I know is that the only wheels that should be killing deer are like the ones on my truck."

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Obsidian Help
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 12:32:32 am »
if you dont hit it your never get it.
 Your going to wast allot of rock before you get it, we all did.
yes you can work a slab but your missing out on the true art of knapping.
I say set up some plat forms and hit them. Its just a rock :)
Watch some of the flint knapping vids on youtube
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Ian Schmidt

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:37:43 am »
I know what you mean. I enjoy making them naturally, and yes, I have wasted a lot of rock since I've started. I was only wondering because I KNOW that the piece I have will be wasted any other way because I have already tried on a similar(but much uglier) piece before. The Obsidian I have is just the perfect iron grain.
"Call them wheels, or call them cams. I don't care. All I know is that the only wheels that should be killing deer are like the ones on my truck."

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 12:55:17 am »
i'd take that piece and stick it back and pull it out down the road when you know u can do it.
I dont know anything about cutting obsidian.
Mililani Hawaii

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 12:24:12 pm »
they can be cut into preforms with a tile saw..wet saw....gut

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 08:38:12 pm »
Just hit it!  You learn by doing, and in my case by doing andoingandoing...did I mention that I am a very slow learner?  Bill

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:54:11 pm »
i like obsidion
slabs or spalls or whole hunks
can we see some pics of it and maybe we can help you out
but remember with obsidion
you need to abraid abraid abraid abraid,and when you think youve abraided it enough.do it one more time
also flakes dont like to run acoss concavities,they like convexities

for me when it comes to obsidion spalls or hunks it works best with antler tools
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline warhawk

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 10:19:23 pm »
I agree with the rest of the crowd if you dont want to psall your obsidian get cheaper stuff and practice.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline Ian Schmidt

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 02:56:41 pm »
Well i took ur guys' advice and just tried it. It broke apart along a deep fissure into a perfect wedge flake, almost completely flat save for one side. Unfortunately, i dropped it and broke the paper-thin tip, but i flaked it into a perfectly-shaped skinner. I have a really nice maple limb that i cut and sanded to imitate antler that I am going to attach the skinner to, once I get some more sinew. Thanks guys for not letting me get away with cheating. I am much happier with my natural blade now.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 10:53:46 pm »
The only thing we have to fear,is fear itself. Good work !  If you are short obsidian, I can send you a bit,( for the cost of shipping it )  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Ian Schmidt

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 01:21:27 am »
thanks but ill have to pass on that. unfortunately, my new puppy has a taste for volcanic glass, so my knapping will have to be put on the back burner for a while. He's fine btw. I still have a ton of rock, but no where to work it. its a good thing he doesnt like wood shavings from my bows, or else im making a doghouse for him

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 01:34:51 am »
 Two options...one set it aside till ur confident or knap plain old glass check
out YouTube for help otherwise obsidion is one of the cheapest knapping material ur gonna find....listen to the folks I myself have smashed and wasted about a ton of material before getting anything that resembles anything heck a year in and I still can't knapp...LOL

AA
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 08:42:59 pm »
Hmmmm..... big spalls start with big hunks of obsidian and big hammers - I have been knapping for a few years now and am always learning about my material and ability.  You are welcome to come by the Indfian Musuem at Yosemite National Park and visit with me - I will be happy to share what I know. Puppy will have to stay in the car.  Paleomanjim has some very nice youtube videos for beginners and advanced knappers.  Otherwise shoot for one big point from the piece you have and make smaller points from the smaller pieces.  Always trying to convince my co-worker to use a bigger hammer. You can do a lot of fine work with a good size hammer but you have to get over the fear of breaking what you have. I had to get over the lack of confidence in my ability and just start whacking, if you pay attention tothe piece as you work it and talk to it (yes, that is what I mean) with the help of lots of abrasion it will tell you what needs to be removed. Picture the centerlines from top to bottom and tip to tail.  Learning is only accomplished by action.  Good luck. Stop by.