Author Topic: twang?  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Frode

twang?
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:59:24 pm »
Hi all,
I've noticed, on some of my longer bows, not really hand shock, but more of a residual twang or string vibration after the arrow is on its way.  It's not loud, by any means.  I have plenty of brace height, no wrist slap to speak of (only if I release badly).  Could this be because;

1)  I hear every creak and tick and rub, and am paranoid
2)  Arrows that are too light or heavy (I believe they are spined within five pounds of the bow)
3)  Something else altogether

Just curious,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: twang?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 11:56:29 pm »
Frode , i would think with too light of arrows . other than that might be string material . although if your like me could be a whole lot of #1 im always lookin for probs with my bows , like driving your truck u can feel when somethings wrong

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:08:30 am »
Sounds like your arrows are physically light. How much do they weigh and how does that compare with the draw weight? Heavier arrows absorbe more of the energy from the bow so you feel less in your hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 07:40:56 am »
Are you plucking the string? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

twcbow

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 12:14:30 pm »
I agree with george see if you fingers on the string are paralell to it when you draw or if you are trying to twist the string the opposite way. This hand position will make the shot feel wierd and give you more noise. I do however usally find that my bows shoot arrows better when they are splined about 5 lbs heavier than the bow.

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 02:00:12 pm »
what is your string material? you might need something heavier with less memory or maybe something lighter with more. you sure dont want your bow to sound like a harp! let us know when you figure it out. jason
Its only wood

Offline Frode

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 04:55:36 pm »
@bucksbuoy;  All my strings so far have been B-50, at least 14 strands.

@Jawge and twcbow;  I wondered about that, too.  last time I was out I had someone spot me, and apparently my form is OK (which is odd, as I'm the sort who falls down the stairs while going up, and still manages to end up sitting on the floor at the top  :-\).

@PatB and ken75;  My scale is not the best, but it shows just a hair under an ounce, so 400 grains, maybe?  They're 5/16" sitka spruce shafts with 100 grain field points.

Frode

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 08:53:18 pm »
Your brace height might be too low. Light arrows, and plucking the string will also cause twang.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 09:05:00 pm »
I don't understand this "plucking the string"

And I do draw with my fingers parallel to the string..but one HAS to for a cherokee pinch release.  I've also seen many pictures of natives drawing with fingers parallel.  It feels natural for me.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 09:09:20 pm »
Well it would be similar to holding your bow on your lap and strumming it. When you are shoooting the string should roll easily off your fingers. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 11:03:48 pm »
Plucking the string means you're trying to open your hand quickly, and let go of the string. Impossible. Your hand isn't fast enough. Instead, you have to come to full draw, and then relax your hand and pull through the string, allowing it to slip out of your grasp.

Don't let go of the string... let the string go. Mmmm... takes much plactiss glasshoppa.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:21:53 pm by adb »

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 08:25:01 am »
Odds areit's too lite of arrow. Think of it this way. Compound shooters in some of the upper classes of 3D comp (ASA and local shoots) push the limits on the grains per pound on arrows. At 60#, I was shooting 156 grain arrow 26.5 draw and got allot of "twang" Put some puff balls (string silencers) and increase the arrow weight to 12 or 13 gpp and I think you'll find a big diff. in the sound.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:46:06 pm by hillbilly61 »
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Frode

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 02:29:19 pm »
Well, I think I'll try making some heavier arrows.  I'm needing to make some anyway, and I usually put it off until I absolutely have to.  What do you recommend for weighing, something like a small postal scale?
Thanks,
Frode

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 09:33:12 pm »
That's what I use. Weighs ozs and grams.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 03:03:56 pm »
I use a digital ounce/gram scale I bouught at Wally World for about $15.  Then I go to this website to convert from grams to grains.
http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/grams-to-grains.htm
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw