Poll

How many here use a stringer to brace their bows and how many brace by hand

Brace by hand using the push/pull
Brace by hand using the step through
Brace by using a 2 cup stringer
Brace with a sliding bow limb stringer
Brace with a rubber pressure pad stringer

Author Topic: Bows and Stringers  (Read 22918 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Bows and Stringers
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2010, 12:09:03 pm »
The key to using the step through is to make sure to place the handle on the back of your thigh and to pull on the upper limb in line with the lower limb
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2010, 03:45:31 pm »
when I first started making wooden bows I used a sliding rubber pad style stringer( that I used on my FG bow) to string a bow and broke it, they obviously are not suitable for delicately balanced wooden bows and apply uneven pressures on the limbs, which is obvious to see when you look at it them in operation....  I have also seen many people stress a bow just as unevenly using both the step thru and push/pull method. Both of these methods require care, skill and practice to perform properly....in my opinion... A stringer that pullls the limbs equally with the foot in the middle is the only totally safe method and even then they must fit the tips properly,......
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2010, 06:53:18 pm »
 When using the push/pull method be sure your hands are not wet. Mine were and they slipped off and I cracked a cheek bone. I also wore the impression of the limb tip stamped in my face for 2 weeks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 02:27:51 pm »
I have also managed to whack myself in the face when my hand slipped off unbracing a bow like this....
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Jesse

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2010, 01:02:18 am »
Scott. Never tried it that way ;D
I used the step through for years until someone told me it was bad to do >:( So I switched to push pull which I really dont like. I dont know why but it's really awkward for me to string a bow with the push pull. I'm not weak either. Shooting high poundage is no trouble but I dont like to string them. I use a two cup stringer to string them and I unstring with the push /pull  For some reason unstringing is no trouble ???
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 09:52:35 am »
The step through can be bad if you don't do it properly but there's nothing wrong with it if done the right way.

There are some custom glass bowyers out there that will NOT guarantee their bows if you use a sliding limb string, something for you guys that use them to think about.

You can be sure that if you use a stringer that puts uneven pressure on the limbs as you brace it then you are damaging your bow.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Klandaght

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 04:58:56 pm »
Not trying to be arguementative, but when you use the push- pull method, doesn't your top hand start at the same spot as the rubber pad when you push?
A man learns more from his mistakes than from his successes!

His wife will always acknowledge his learnedness!

Offline Barrage

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 09:53:39 pm »
I use the step through.  Put the handle directly behind my knee with my leg bent.  Then with one tip at my ankle and the other in my right hand I straighten my leg and slip the string on with my left hand.

I will often unstring bows using the push pull method, although I also do it backwards like Scott.  I can't do it the right way...like Jesse I find it very awkward.
Travis

Offline Postman

« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2010, 06:45:07 pm »
I guess I string "Backwards" - thought that was standard, though
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2010, 10:14:41 pm »
klandaght,
 You are right, but a lot of people do not use it right, also. I slide the rubberpad up the limb just like you would the push/pull till my fingers encounter the string. Then I slide both to the nock.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2010, 09:42:20 am »
Not trying to be arguementative, but when you use the push- pull method, doesn't your top hand start at the same spot as the rubber pad when you push?

The key word here is "start".  With the push/pull you hand not only slides up the limb as you apply pressure the lower limb is also under your instep by at least a couple inches.  With the rubber pad stringer the lower cup is right on the very tip of the bow and the pad is several inches down from the nock and stays there.  This is quite contrary to how the bow was tillered and shifts a great deal of energy to the lower limb.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2010, 09:53:01 pm »
I voted that I use the push/pull, but I sort of do it backwards. When I first read how to do it, I didn't understand correctly.  This is what I do.....I block the bottom tip by putting it on my shoe, I hold the handle in my right hand with the back facing away from me and I have the upper limb in my left hand at the string. I push the handle away from me and pull the top limb tip toward me while sliding the string up until it's braced. Since I learned that I was doing it wrong, I have tried to do it the "right" way but it just doesn't feel natural to me so I have just continued doing it backwards. I've never slipped, but if I did, the limb would harmlessly (to me, not necessarily the bow) fly forward and not hurt me.  Anything wrong with doing it this way? Does anyone else do it backwards?
I'm a backwards stringer too.  I guess I had the same misunderstanding, since I just now realized I've been doing it backwards.  I usually use the step-through and I have to use it on my 75 pounder.  I never had an issue with it for myself, but I suspect my kids may have ruined the bottom limb of one of my bows by doing it improperly.  Next time I build one, it will be shaped for a stringer.
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2010, 11:17:28 pm »
   I used the push pull for years 1000's of times.Untill one morning when I got out of the truck ot go hunting with a friend..And went to strig my bow I broke about 2 inchs of the tip off.We were going to stay all day.
  So i told my friend to go a head and hunt the morning wqe were surpose to hunt all day.But after setting there a few minites.I got my knife out and carved a nock swisted up my string.A few shots to chane my nocking point.Left a note.ANd killed a doe that evening.
   YOU'VE GOT TO LOVE SELFBOWS
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2010, 11:40:26 am »
   I used the push pull for years 1000's of times.Untill one morning when I got out of the truck ot go hunting with a friend..And went to strig my bow I broke about 2 inchs of the tip off.We were going to stay all day.
  So i told my friend to go a head and hunt the morning wqe were surpose to hunt all day.But after setting there a few minites.I got my knife out and carved a nock swisted up my string.A few shots to chane my nocking point.Left a note.ANd killed a doe that evening.
   YOU'VE GOT TO LOVE SELFBOWS

Unfortunately many people don't know how to do the push/pull properly either and step down hard on the tip when bracing the bow.  That will break the tip off or at the very least damage it.  Only your heel should rest on the ground.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2010, 09:55:06 pm »
  You should use the side of your foot.To pull againest it.Not the tip.Be smart use a stringer.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING