Poll

How many here use a stringer to brace their bows and how many brace by hand

Brace by hand using the push/pull
Brace by hand using the step through
Brace by using a 2 cup stringer
Brace with a sliding bow limb stringer
Brace with a rubber pressure pad stringer

Author Topic: Bows and Stringers  (Read 22917 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Bows and Stringers
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:11:40 am »
I've seen a few threads here where people recommend a bow stringer for bracing their bows.  Some of these stringers are fine but others can seriously damage a bow.  Personally there's only 2 methods listed above that I approve with any of my bows and that is the push/pull and the 2 cup stringer.  The step though method is alright also if done properly but not one I recommend.

Comments are welcome
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ohma

Re: Bows and Stringers
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:21:45 am »
i use push pull on straight limbs, 2 cup stringer on recurve.i also have the 2 post levers fastened in on a post in my basement i use alot at home. i feel it is the safest.dont see them much.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:06:32 pm »
Marc, I'm currently using a cup stringer because I gave away my rubber pad stringer with the last bow. I'm curious why you wouldn't approve of the pad stringer; for me the pad stringer seems less hassle and maybe more reliable on a bow with short or small tips, whereas a cup might completely cover the nock grooves when fully inserted. Just wondering...
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:16:55 pm »
The rubber pad stringer puts uneven bend pressure on the limbs - at least that's how it looks to me ???
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 12:18:41 pm »
Hi Marc,    I use the push-pull method for all my straight bows, but the step through for my recurves.   I've got a couple of different stringers, but rarely use them.  Still when I teach beginners, I always push the use of stringers as the safest way to string recurves, for both the bow and the archer.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 01:05:27 pm »
Marc, I'm currently using a cup stringer because I gave away my rubber pad stringer with the last bow. I'm curious why you wouldn't approve of the pad stringer; for me the pad stringer seems less hassle and maybe more reliable on a bow with short or small tips, whereas a cup might completely cover the nock grooves when fully inserted. Just wondering...

See Jeff's reply

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 03:53:25 pm »
I always use push-pull for ELBs and flatbows, and step-thru for my wooden recurve "curly bow".  Seems to work the best for me.  I did use a pocket and saddle stringer for a <cough>FG recurve when I first started shooting, but never since.  I didnt like how it loaded the limbs unevenly....If I were to step up to a heavy bow, I would probably use a two-loop ELB stringer.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 05:54:40 pm »
i can't do the push/pull method because i'm too weak  :(
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 09:26:02 pm »
2 cup stringer. Sometimes push/pull on straight bows, but not often because I leave the stringer on to protect the tips, so the stringer is on the bow already when it comes out of the bow sock.
Also, when selling a bow, I give no warranty if the customer doesn't use a 2 cup stringer.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 08:39:53 am »
I've been known to put one end on the ground, press my knee or even foot (On my f/glass & rock maple Asiatic recurve ) onto the grip and pull back an the other end to slip the string on.
If people tell me "That's not how to string a bow" I give them one of Mrs Cat's 'hard stares' :o and tell 'em I made it so I know how to string it.
Do whatever works for you I say, I daresay if I had a bow with V thin flat limbs and a ton of recurve I might use a stringer.
Del
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:49:19 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 09:40:48 am »
Almost never use a stringer. Push pull if I can if not I step through.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 10:05:32 am »
I never use a stringer.  I will step through on bows over 80#.

Del.  You can do whatever you want with your own bows.  How would you feel though if you made a bow for someone and they broke it because of improper stringing?  Would you feel inclined to replace it?

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Postman

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 10:08:36 am »
youngbower - hang in there, the more you shoot, the easier it gets. I'm 39 and a burly 210 lbs,  and it took me awhile to do my mid 50's bows push-pull when I started out.  ;)
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline adb

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 10:46:20 am »
I never use a stringer.  I will step through on bows over 80#.

Del.  You can do whatever you want with your own bows.  How would you feel though if you made a bow for someone and they broke it because of improper stringing?  Would you feel inclined to replace it?
Absolutely not! When I deliver bows, a very specific and explicit set of instructions goes with it. Among those is how to string it with push/pull.

Offline Shoeman

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 10:51:52 am »
OK, I'll bite..   what's bad about using a stringer?     Be merciful, I'm new to this. ;D