Author Topic: New question on cane arrows, maybe?  (Read 2864 times)

Offline nclonghunter

New question on cane arrows, maybe?
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:46:02 pm »
I hate to ask this question, but I have pondered on it a while and have not been able to resolve it my self.

I have read numerous times that cane arrows should be spined and the stiffer side of spine faced towards the bow. Now, if the paradox begins as the arrow is released and the shaft begins to flex/bend/paradox away from the bow, which allows it to bend around the non center shot handle then the stiff spine towards the bow would prevent this from occurring properly. I would think that you should rotate the cane shaft around until you find what side matches the bows draw weight and place that towards the bow, rather than the stiffest side. Maybe I am just not grasping the idea.
I have rotated cane shafts around in one spot and you will certainly get different spine weights around the shaft. I will also assume the best place to check the spine is center of length of shaft.....
Thanks for any insight
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Little John

Re: New question on cane arrows, maybe?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:20:11 pm »
Good question. I have found caine to be fairly spine tollerant as in the fact that they seem  to shoot well if they are close. You have to plan on a cull here and there that might shoot good from another bow or for another person.  I am sure some better arrow smiths will chime in.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:07:40 pm »
the stiffest side of a cane arrow should be matched to the bow.  this matching helps to correct for paradox.  for example, a 55# bow should have a 55# spined cane arrow with the 55# side toward the bow.  of course, these numbers are not taking into account taper, shelf type, point weight, and arrow length.  i'm guessing you could place the 55#, or stiff side, away from the bow and still get acceptable flight, but you will need to orient all arrows the same way to get consistent flight with a set.  i'm  thinking by placing the stiff side against the bow it helps to reduce paradox and allows the arrow to correct itself quicker and be on target.  just my .02 worth.  maybe artb can add a little more insight.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:38:39 am »
mech's got it.  your probably gonna go through lots and lots of shafts before you find a matched set for your bow. i straightened a few hundred last year, i got maybe 3 dozen spined between 45 and 50, which is what i needed for my bows.   course, if you are just straightening a bunch at a time its good too, cause you can trade off the ones you dont use for something you can use!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:57:01 pm »
I have found that with naturally tapered bamboo shafts the spine rate on a 33 inch shaft will vary considerably down it's length. Perhaps this is because down the thicker end you are effectively spine rating a thicker shaft than at the thinner end. For lower spine rated shafts there can be at least 10# difference, often more. I always spine rate my shafts i the centre, This difference in spine down the length seems greater than any difference related to rotation of the shaft.

Is this different for River Cane and other species available in the US?

I admit that my experience is limited to Chinese Arrow Bamboo (1000 shafts spined) and Tonkin (about 5000 shafts spined). I am sure that some other canes and bamboos may behave differently.

Mark in England

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:09:11 pm »
I appreciate the response and will now rotate the shaft on my spine tester to determine what point matches my bow weight. That spot or side will be what faces my bow. Once the correct spine side is found then I will cut my nock for string alignment. I have seen the spine change a lot as the shaft is rotated staying in the center of arrow length as it is rotated. Thanks again.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:16:01 pm »
mark, ive found its the same with river cane here.  never tried the hill cane. 

which do you like better between tonkin and the chinese arrow bamboo?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 04:53:44 pm »
95% of the time the stiff side will be to the right or left of the sulcus or node scar.  most of the time, each side will be pretty close to the same spine.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 07:28:39 pm »
nclonghunter, Chris gave you some excellent advice on how to orient your shafts to the bow. Just to reiterate, node scars at 6/12 0'clock w/one of the clean sides against the bow. This leaves you with the option of flipping the arrow 180 degrees for best flight.

Unless you have your shafts perfectly straight and using a dial indicator tester you won't get an accurate reading on deflection differences with the needle type tester.

Just a note of exception here: Pat B's hill cane will often show the node scars the stiffest side(s) but should still be oriented the same as the other boo/canes for best performance.  Just my opinion folks  ;D. ART B

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 08:00:59 pm »
I feel educated. I never thought about it as in depth as you all have. I spined them straightened them and made them into arrows and shot them. Thanks for the education. 
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 11:36:45 pm »
Ignorance is bliss, TJ!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 12:08:32 am »
Dang, I thought I had read to put the node scares against the bow, 3 and 9 o'clock.  Good thing I cheat and use plastic nocks.  I can heat and turn them.  :)

Just to clarify this in my mind.  Node scare (sulcus) = wear the leaves grow out of the nodes, correct?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:12:11 am by hedgeapple »
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline artcher1

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 06:30:00 pm »
Just to clarify this in my mind.  Node scare (sulcus) = wear the leaves grow out of the nodes, correct?

Correct  Hedgeapple.  I like to use plastic nocks on my target arrows also and I've tried different positions for best flight and always come back to the 6/12 o'clock position for the leaf/stem scar oriention. Even for cane such as Pat's hill cane where the scar sides often show stiffer. Something to do with dynamic behavior I suspect. ART B