Author Topic: String height question  (Read 5275 times)

Offline Shoeman

String height question
« on: December 01, 2010, 08:20:57 am »
Just finished my first bow,  flat, 58.5 between nocks, from a white oak board.  It pulls 45# @ 29" and looks good to me.  I had a string made for me from measurements I provided. Question is the string height is about 7.5", which seems pretty stinking high to me judging solely on looks.  But I only have a longbow to compare it to. 
Is that string height ok?   I have not shot it with the new string yet, but it does shoot really well with the paracord tillering strings I used!

TIA,
  Geoff

Offline Hrothgar

Re: String height question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:29:36 am »
Geoff, 7 1/2 " is pretty high. I did a couple 59" pyramid bows this summer and have been bracing them around 5 1/2 ", or just enough for the feathers to clear. Have you stretchted the string? sometimes to break in a string I will double it, run it through a 30# dumbell weight and hang it on a nail for a couple hours. This might lenghten it some and lower the brace heigth.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:11:07 am »
Most of mine brace around 5 1/2 .A new string will stretch or you can un twist it a little,depending on how much twist the maker put in it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Shoeman

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:36:04 am »
I just ran out before leaving for work (gets in the way of all the real fun!) and ran 7 arrows through it.   It shoots MUCH faster with a real string, and shoots very straight.   That was great.   
The string length is 54.5" and looking at the invoice for the string I see it shows bow type as recurve, which this is not.  So I'm thinking the string should be 1-2" longer?    It's made B-50.  Will that stretch in use?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:55:51 am »
Is it a fFemish twist string or an continuous loop string?  If a Flemish you might have a remedy but if a continuous loop you are stuck with the length.    OK, you've made a bow, now it is time ti learn how to make a string!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:59:50 am »
I leave it at the lowest brace height at which I get good arrow flight. I start at fletch clearing distance then increase as needed. My bows are braced at 7-7.25 in as measured from string to BACK of handle. My site has tuning info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:01:57 am »
If you ordered the string and provided the bow length to the string maker, they probably assumed that it was a fg bow.  Most makers will make a string that provided roughly a 7" brace, give or take a bit.  In thier defense, most of their customers will be using fg bows.  Get around that by either explaining that you are using a selfbow, giving them a bow lenght two or so inches longer than your bow actually is (so they make a longer string), or making your own strings.  (I'm working on that last part now.  Mine are functional, but not pretty.  Way less expensive and more fun to mess with though.)

Offline Shoeman

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:30:11 am »
It's a Flemish twist.
  Dumb noob question, whats an FG bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:40:59 am »
FG is fiberglass!  It's a bad word here so we just abreviate it!  ;D
  You might be able to untwist the bottom loop and twist it back to a straight string. Then you can tie a bowyers knot(timber hitch) at the length you need. All of my strings use a bowyers knot.  I doubt you could untwist it enough to lower the brace height by 2" without it coming unraveled.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Shoeman

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 01:03:09 pm »
So you're saying untwist the bottom loop completely until that end is straight with no loop, give it a few twists to keep it together, then knot a loop into it?

I need to learn this stuff too I can see. :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 01:54:04 pm »
I'll try to get some pics of what I am saying. Basically, yes, untwist the loop and re-twist the string into a straight end and add a bowyers nkot for the bottom limb.

Offline macbow

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 02:27:16 pm »
Hey Shoeman, I didn't see a location in your profile. I know keeping a low profile  on the net is good but if you add your city and state guys like me will sometime offer help if your close.
I'm sure Pat will get you going. the Bowyers knot is hard to picture but easy once you learn it.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 02:41:09 pm »
Lets see how this works...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 02:43:03 pm »
...and for a little more clarity lets try this...

Offline Shoeman

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 03:19:26 pm »
That's a HUGE help.  Thank you very much!  I'll try that tonight. 

macbow,   I'm in Bangor, Me.     George T.  is "close" to me by about 250 miles I'd guess  ;D but his website has been a great help to me.