Author Topic: free hide at my local deer processor  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
free hide at my local deer processor
« on: November 30, 2010, 08:16:29 pm »
well, i talked with the guys at paps, and they have some deer hides they have to get rid of, they ORIGINALLY were 4 dollars a hide, but now, they are free, they didnt salt them, so the fur is coming out now, i figured it would be great for rawhide or leather, one problem is i cannot take it all, there are 8 foot piles of them, if i could clean em all up i would, that is ALOT of hides that are going to be wasted

i have until monday, to clean as many as i can, get em on stretching racks and prepare em

if anyone lives around my area, (western NY) you can send me a pm and we can work something out, i would HATE to see these go to waste, and since they are FREE you can take as many as you can fit in your truck. If it is worth the gas, why not give it a try?     

i can only do maybe 2 or 3 pieces, since i have to lash some sticks together to make a stretching rack (cannot afford boards)

send me a pm if you are interested and i can send the info,  they will be thrown out on monday of next week and i would HATE to see that happen

if this is a bad post you can delete it, but since i did not mention any business names, nor did i give links , i think i should be fine,
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:42:59 pm by Hawkeyes »
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: free hide at my local deer processor
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:22:40 pm »
Nothing wrong with the post but if the hair is already slipping you may be for some trouble.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
Re: free hide at my local deer processor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 07:51:05 pm »
Nothing wrong with the post but if the hair is already slipping you may be for some trouble.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :)
   Pappy
yeah, the hides are still strong, the hair is loose in most places, but still have to work to get it off, i have it stretching right now, i can say this, i had a hard time piercing the hide ( i did have some rotten sections i removed, but they were legs and not really of much value anyway (maybe for handles :P),  i hated the feeling of working with it, yet i keep telling myself i will love the outcome,

they were kind of "frozen" today, so my hands were ice cold by the time i was halfway done, i am going to spend a lot of time on the weekend prepping them, and getting as many as i can....

if i get more than i need, expect to see a few in the trading post, :P
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.