Author Topic: Stripping TruOil  (Read 1733 times)

PeteDavis

Stripping TruOil
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:56:06 am »

I am going to strip the Truoil finish from my Osage/Hickory and sand off a few pounds. Then glue in a little more handle.

What's a reliable solvent to remove the TruOil finish? The bow is glued with URAC 185.

Thanks in advance-PD

Offline Easternarcher

Re: Stripping TruOil
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:19:00 am »

I am going to strip the Truoil finish from my Osage/Hickory and sand off a few pounds. Then glue in a little more handle.

What's a reliable solvent to remove the TruOil finish? The bow is glued with URAC 185.

Thanks in advance-PD

I just took a scraper to remove the finish on a bow I worked on for a friend to remove a bit of weight. Tru-Oil peeled off quite easy. Once work was done and I resanded and refinished with Tru-Oil again of course...can't tell it was ever in surgery!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:20:51 am »
Pete, I just scrape off the Tru-Oil from the area I want to work on, do the work, sand that area smooth and feather out where it meets the existing Tru-oil and reapply. This is one reason I like Tru-Oil. It is very easy to make repairs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:31:03 am »
Pete,
      I'm with Pat, the scraper and feather-edge sanding will work very well with the tru-oil.
rich