Author Topic: about yew limbs  (Read 1354 times)

Offline Blacktail

about yew limbs
« on: November 25, 2010, 05:46:00 pm »
just trying to learn some about yew..i found a branch of yew that is clean..but,its shaped in a bow or has reflex in it...my question is...is the tension side on top..and is that where the tighter rings are...i hope i explaned o.k.  thanks john

Offline artcher1

Re: about yew limbs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 07:14:07 pm »
You have it correct John.......Art

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 07:22:10 pm »
thanks art..some times when i go hunting i am all about getting a deer..but,there is times when i run into trees and the hunt switchs to looking at trees...i guees thats being a bowyer..john

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 07:47:31 pm »
I would have to disagree. In hardwoods the top part of the branch pulls the branch upwards by forming denser wood  but in conifers the bottom of the branch produces wood with more lignin which supports from the bottom.
 You can check out "reaction" wood and read about the differences in various trees.

In practice there is probably some variability depending on actual branch position.
 The top is still the tension side of the bending force a branch will be subjected to but I think this is mainly about which side of the branch is comprised of the most desirable wood, growth ring size notwithstanding.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 10:29:09 pm »
 Yep ohn you got it right. The rings will be next to the top of the limb (Tension side)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 02:55:12 pm »
thanks bro...it is a really nice limb and i cant wait to see what is inside...later john