Author Topic: black locust stave  (Read 3711 times)

big-o

black locust stave
« on: November 24, 2010, 03:25:44 pm »
I cut my stave today. I left it at almost 7 feet long. As was discussed here earlier it was suggested that i make the bow around 72" long. I sealed the ends with Elmer's glue.

the end are sealed

Leaning against the unused chicken house

This is where I will store it for a few months then debark and bring indoors.

Bert said hi

Offline luke the drifter

Re: black locust stave
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 05:11:30 pm »
hey big-o,

i hope it splits good for you.  every one that i ever split ends up propellor twisted.  i hate that.  perhaps if this happens to you, you might have pictures showing how to take care of this.  i have a devil of a time but my main fault is patience and perfection.  not enough of one and too much of the other.  i am anxious to see how it turns out for you

luke

big-o

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:19:50 pm »
I am also interested in how it turns out, this is my very first bow build.

Offline Kitsu

• Räven bakom masken
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:30:09 pm »
I am also interested in how it turns out, this is my very first bow build.

by the way the bark looks, it looks like it has some good twist to it you might need to learn something about heat or steam bending when the time comes,

btw, besides the twisty look, it looks like there are some great staves in it, wish ya luck, have fun with it :P
"If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin" ----- Queensryche, "Silent Lucidity

R.H , Southeastern PA/Western PA.

big-o

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:29:07 pm »
Being a beginner I never thought about "reading the bark" I will take a look in the woods again. There are some Hickory and Locust that are about 6-8" in dia. Would the "The Traditional Bowyer's Bible" be a good first read for a beginner? Any suggestions will be well received.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:40:46 pm »
split it and strap it to a straight tree to dry.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 09:44:26 pm »
I would also spray the outside with a pesticide, boring bugs LOVE BL.

Mark

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 12:37:43 am »
could the propeller twist be roughed out to get to the straight part of the stave?  has this been tried with any success?

Cacatch

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 12:51:24 am »
Luke, and Big-O

You can rough out some of the twist, but don't expect to rough it all out. Here is my advice (I love Black Locust and it's about all I work with) - let it dry whole for as long as you can stand to wait. At least a couple months. 3-6 would be best. This will help it to not twist and warp even more when split. Once you do split it, if there is some propeller to it, it ain't the end of the world. MOST of my bows have some twist. I'm working on an ugly little BL stave right now that is twisted real bad. But myself I just don't care as long as the tips line the string up with the handle. Good luck on it!

-CP
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:54:55 am by Cacatch »

Offline ohma

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 11:03:07 am »
i to like locust makes a good bow. as said above, you best get it sprayed with an insecticide orit will get ate up.the cheap five dollar a gallon stuff at wally world works for me.comes with a hand pump and very easy to use.
if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 12:08:14 pm »
Twist in a log often appears worse than in the the spit stave. Anytime after letting settle a few weeks now you can spit that out. I usually leave the bark on. I try not to get in a big hurry with BL as it can check big time. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!