Author Topic: recommendations please  (Read 1523 times)

Offline smoke

recommendations please
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:46:26 am »
I have a 74 inch eastern red cedar stave.  It looks like I'll have about 1.75 inches of width to work with and it is relatively knot-free.  I have a draw length of 28 inches and like to shoot in the 65 pound range and I typically hunt from tree stands.  Given that information, what style of bow would you make?  All recommendations are welcome!  Thanks!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:03:00 am »
If you don't plan on backing it I would go at least 68 for that draw length,1 1/2 TO 1 3/4 at the fads,tapered to the tip. I have made a few and they are nice and fast but they can also blow and when they do it is pretty violent. Some here have made some nice ones also,maybe they will chime in with some better ideas,I plan on sinewing the next one I do,I have seen some of them that were really nice. :) I used only heart wood on mine,I think some have been leaving some or all the sap wood on the back like you would do with a yew stave. :) That might be better because the ones I have had it is almost impossible to chase a ring for the back once you get to all heart wood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline smoke

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:40:50 am »
Thanks Pappy.  I think I will back it with flax fiber - had a mulberry bow blow up on me and don't want to have that happen again!  Anyone else have ideas? thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:22:18 am »
I'd go with Pappy's recommendations.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 10:27:12 am »
Smoke,
      Got to third Pappy's recomendation. The American long bow pattern makes even stressed and quick bows. Don't know where abouts ya live but if you get a lot of weather extremes I believe that a backing would be a good idea.
rich

Offline ohma

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:40:08 am »
made one for my grandson "58 long "24 draw #40 left quarter inch whitewood on back and backed it with rawhide. now i know this is alot less bow than your after but it has been shot almost daily for 2 years and is still flat after being unstrung.so i to say follow pappies advice.

if your not dead you are getting older so get out and shoot some arrows.