Author Topic: I just ain't got the words...  (Read 8334 times)

Stringman

I just ain't got the words...
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:23:00 pm »
I've had bad seasons before. shoot this year wasn't looking so hot! I've seen a few deer, but I just wasn't getting the looks that I was wanting. Had one gimme shot at a fork horn that I blew! Then after that I just wasn't in the right place I guess.

Then on the 29th of October I got a chance to leave work early and hit the shower. I was driving to my brother's thinking I was runnin late and seeing deer in the fields wasn't helping. By the time I got to my stand and situated I was dripping with sweat. My mechanic called, I called my wife, she called back, then I coughed LOUDLY, and to cover all that mess I grunted once. Seconds later I had a little spotted fawn step out and walk to my tree and begin to feed on the fallen hackberry leaves. I was tempted to shoot, but wasn't sure if I could hit him he was so small (even though he was less than 10 yards from my tree!) I was enjoying the show when I heard something that didn't sound like a squirrel. Looking left I spotted a nose closing fast. Once it popped it's head up I started to get concerned that I had brought the wrong bow. My buddy always tells me that one of these days I'm gonna see a big one and I ain't gonna be able to finish the deal with my sticks and stones. Well , as it turns out I didn't have time to worry cause he came right in to about 11 yards, not payin a bit of attention to that big shaking leaf up in the tree. I let fly and drove that obsidian point down through his back and out the bottom side and almost fell out of the tree myself. Now, my buddies say "You've reached legend status with us." I know different. I just happen to have more time than they do. There's alot of guys out there that can do the same thing I can, they just ain't tried yet.

Shot this dude with a 60# Osage self bow, and river cane arrows (thanks Tim!) The point was a kahokia style obsidian that broke in half when he landed on it. I got a brother-in-law in Afganistan waiting on me to make a necklace out of it. Thanks for looking!

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: I just ain't got the words...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 08:42:40 pm »
 Congratulations on getting a a very good buck, and also for setting your buddy straight about the right gaer.
Steve Bennett

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 11:55:40 pm »
 Man, oh man! That is one sweet deer. Congratulations on a great shot and deer. I still have that arrowhead in my office. It's too nice to shoot,,,,yet. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 12:03:11 am »
Mmmm, nice buck, and done right!  Attaboy.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 05:58:31 am »
Nice shot and great buck.Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 08:47:41 am »
Congratulations! Way to go. And, while true the point is not to one up your buddies, it sure makes us primitive hunters proud to see one of our own stand out among the 'modern' hunters.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline BearG

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 10:10:36 am »
Man thats nice
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 10:48:17 am »
Just dosen't get any better then that.  Nice buck with all primitive gear!  Congratulations

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 11:59:48 am »
Thanks guys! That's my 2nd primitive deer, and would you believe it, I shot them both from the same tree! I guess it's just a good spot. This deer is my all time biggest deer yet, with any gear. Now I need to fill some doe tags.

Mullet - I'd love to see that point go through one a them piggies you was telling me about.

Offline lowell

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 12:09:33 pm »
Very nice, congrats on a great deer and a great hunt with all the right equipment!! ;D ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 01:33:44 pm »
Great story,Great deer. Congratulations on doing it well.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Postman

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 01:56:11 pm »
way to go - awesome buck ya got there - hopefully you'll make some converts!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Big A

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 02:56:45 pm »
Good stuff. Congrats!
Big A

Offline Little John

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 10:43:50 pm »
Yep  buck like that with primitive gear would make any one a legend. Totally awsome harvest.  Congratulations.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Timo

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 11:12:57 pm »
Proud for ya Scott! Nice deer and WAY TO GO! ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:45:38 am by Timo »