Author Topic: fluting problems  (Read 2423 times)

Offline juniper junkie

fluting problems
« on: November 18, 2010, 10:33:23 pm »
I just returned from ruining a couple of nice clovis style blades. I had them thinned down and shaped, and when I fluted them they broke in half, mostly toward the tips. I am not real keen on the proper way to support  the blade when doing the flute. suggestions????

Offline sailordad

Re: fluting problems
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:40:51 pm »
i dont have a fluting jig
so when i do flute its by hand

i take the point and bury the tip into my leg
i mean i press it in hard,i also squeeze the sides rather tight so i have  good grip in the point
the whack the isolated platform,or i try too  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 11:04:47 pm »
There are multiple ways of hand fluting but all involve isolating a nipple abrading and percussion.  Some will hold the preform with their feet, some lay it on the side of their leg, some on the point on their leg... There are all kinds of ways and believe it or not a jig is no bit easier than hand fluting...in some cases its harder...even the great fluters with or without a jig snaps a few here and there...listen to PaleomanJim on youtube talk about how he brakes them still he is a 40 year veteran flintknapper he claims to have a 90% succession rate with fluting.

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 07:12:12 am »
i found burying them in soft earth works quite well . gives support to the whole point.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 10:10:06 am »
Same as Jamie  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 01:26:47 pm »
I only use a jig when i make Cumberland's.
 When i make a Clovis i take a small block of wood and set down on the ground and place the block of wood between my feet, I then hold the point with my feet and i take a punch and place it on the nipple applying downword pressure and use a wood paddle and strike the punch removing the flute. I've never broke a Clovis this way but the fluts don't go much past half way using this method.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 01:27:01 pm »
so, if I bury it do I bury it vertical with just the base protruding? I had these supported on my leg with my hand wrapped around the blade but apparently did not have the tip supported, thought I did. thanks for the help guys.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 07:33:31 pm »
Nobody's mentioned it, but you need a center ridge.  The blade must be biconvex, you can get them too flat and the flute won't run.  Bill

Offline Jaeger

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »
watch goose's video on fluting it really shows it good ,I lost all of my favorites on the computer or I would post the link.

Offline Bill Skinner

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 12:37:49 am »
As far as fluting by hand, after building your nipple, put the point on two pieces of leather on your leg, hold it by the SIDES, tilt it to about 60 degrees and smack that sucker.  You may want to try a couple of practice swings to get things lined up.  The angle is going to vary slightly due to knapping style.  Do not hit your corners.  Holding by the sides is the important part.  If you hit high on your nipple, you'll still break your point, it has to be below centerline.  Bill