Author Topic: black locust log  (Read 1299 times)

Offline rkeltner

black locust log
« on: November 13, 2010, 09:47:09 pm »
ianother poster got me thinking about a log i know of. it's abt 24 inches inn diameter and has been on the ground for a while. my question is, would it be worth trying to get something out of? [i know, it's probably gowing to be a pain to split!]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: black locust log
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 12:05:38 am »
You will have to split it to know. Even though locust is rot resistant there are grubs and ants that make their home in it. If it loos sound inside it probably is.  Generally locust splits pretty easily.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 10:41:45 am »
does black locust ever not twist when you split it?  is there a certain diameter to consider where this unlikely to happen?  if not i guess i will have to break down and try to work the twist out with heat and weights, although i think it is a pain.  would the age of the cured black locust log affect this?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 11:01:09 am »
Like any other tree is all depends on the growing conditions as to whether a tree twists as it grows or not. It not just a specific species that twist. But like osage corrections with heat is an option.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC