Author Topic: a good saw  (Read 2120 times)

Offline bucksbuoy

a good saw
« on: November 13, 2010, 04:35:01 pm »
I picked up a nice maple board the other day and intended on extracting two bow staves out of it. I got 1/4 of the way through it with my hand held circular saw, cutting long ways with the grain, and the blade ceased and wouldnt cut anymore. I had a similar issue with a section of red oak that i was trying to split with a chain saw. I had to alternate back and forth from the saw to hatchet and hammer to split it. Cut a little, split a little. I guess my question is am I using the wrong type of saws or am I just attempting the impossible? My circular saw is old but the chain saw is brand new but is not a really heavy duty one by any means. Is there a good saw anyone can recommend? Can I build bows without having a whole wood shop in my garge? :D thanks in advance
Jason
Its only wood

Offline gstoneberg

Re: a good saw
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 04:57:25 pm »
Ripping with the grain is much different than cross cutting across it.  There are different blades for ripping than for cross cutting.  They have fewer teeth per inch as a rule.  Also, there are stresses inside the wood that are released as it is cut.  Sometimes they will try to open the saw kerf up, but sometimes they will cause the wood to close on the saw blade.  I suspect that's what stopped your saw and when you removed the saw the cut closed up?  Even chain saws use a special chain when they're going to be used for ripping.  But, the right tool to rip a board is a table saw or a band saw.  They're designed for ripping.   I use the band saw every time as there's less waste.  I use it all the time making bows.  If you have to use a circular saw, make sure you have a combination blade on it and go slow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 06:03:39 pm »
There's combination blades which will do cross cutting and ripping. There's a rip blade and there's a cross cut blade. Try a carbide tipped rip blade. Also sounds like your blade was dull. Was the wood  smoking? Not good to have a saw bind like that. I've been on the back end of a kickback. Not pleasant. Be careful. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 06:19:26 pm »
Ohhh! Ok cool. thats good to hear really. The wood was smoking a little. Typical of anytime I touch anything it either breaks or catches on fire. And, yeah the wood closed up when I took the saw out. I knew about the less teeth thing, but needed to hear it again, and the blade has to be dull now that I think about it. Ill have to pick up that carbide combination blade your talking about. Definitely one of those days were you gotta remind yourself "It's only wood. It's only wood."
thanks guys
Jason
Its only wood

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 07:29:30 pm »
Yeah, like the other guys have said, but a small wedge or screwdriver pushed into the sawcut behind the saw will help hold the cut open and ease the passage of the saw (p[encil all the usual sfety precautions etc)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.