Author Topic: lemonwood/digame  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
lemonwood/digame
« on: November 10, 2010, 05:56:32 pm »
James Parker gave a board stave of lemonwood a few months ago. I've been racking my brain as to what I should build with it. I was thinking a traditional style ALB and probably back it with hickory...but I just don't know!  Ant thoughts?

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cromm

Re: lemonwood/digame
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 06:00:59 pm »
I've made some English longbows with lemonwood/digame and hickory backing that have been very sweet bows to shoot.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:19:54 pm »
Thanks Cromm, I had also thought about building an ELB. Any suggestions on dimensions for a 50# to 55# bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 07:31:49 pm »
I've only made one bow using degame as the belly wood, and it was a narrow profile, stacked belly ELB tri-lam, with hickory backing and purpleheart core. It seems to be similar in compression strength to osage. It's interesting wood, that seems almost devoid of grain.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:14 pm »
 Pat, I've got an old ALB I rescued with the backing missing. I'm going to steam the set out of it and back it with Bamboo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 08:50:43 pm »
Maybe I'll try a hickory backed ELB. I've made a few with osage(50# to 60#) and a 95# war bow with Pacific yew.
  Eddie, I don't know how well heat effects it if it is like other tropicals.   I have an old York ELB style bow(circa 1940s) and a lemonwood flat bow I'd say circa 1950s, obviously hand made. Both flea market $5 bows.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 08:59:57 pm »
 Yea, Pat, mine is an old lemon wood flat bow. The old backing popped off. I got it at a yard sale. I have a David Knight boo strip that is going on it. I've had no problem bending that wood with steam.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bcbull

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 07:07:29 am »
PAT  LEMON WOOD MAKE A GREAT ELB WITHOUT BACKIN  IF YA HAVE GOOD WOOD IV MADE SEVERAL WISH I HAD MORE OF IT  BROCK

Offline half eye

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 10:23:58 am »
Pat,
      Here is an article from Popular Mechanics (1941) about dimensions for Lemonwood long bows.....they only go to 45# but maybe you can get some idea. Had to reduce the resolution to get it to post but hopefully ya can read the dimensions.

Offline Cromm

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 02:02:27 pm »
Pat,
      Here is an article from Popular Mechanics (1941) about dimensions for Lemonwood long bows.....they only go to 45# but maybe you can get some idea. Had to reduce the resolution to get it to post but hopefully ya can read the dimensions.

Hahaha.
Halfeye I have that same article and was going to post it here.
Pat I am away from home at the moment but when I get back I will have a look at the bows.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.