Author Topic: limb length?  (Read 5049 times)

Offline NTD

Re: limb length?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 03:09:40 pm »
Simple math really.  - 1" lower limb + 1" upper limb equals 2" :) yep brain fart Lol.
Nate Danforth

Offline artcher1

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »
Yep, 2" for sure. You would need to use a more straight wrist when shooting that setup. For most of us, 1" longer upper limb permits better balance. Art B

Offline bucksbuoy

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 01:12:53 am »
Its a difficult concept to wrap your mind around but the center of the bow is were you hold it, not necessarily were you shoot from.
Its only wood

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 04:25:17 am »
Blimey, confusion reigns!
If you move the handle down 1" it makes the top limb 1" longer and the bottom one 1" shorter, thus the difference between the two limbs is now 2".
However I'd say (IMO) if you simply make the whole thing an even taper away from the geometric centre without any seriously raised handle section, it's much simpler and more like a ELB. If you do insist on a raised grip, it only need be 2" long as that's about the size of the depression in the centre of your palm, the remaining handle length will be the fade from that 2" section down to the limb. I personally feel a lot of grips are waaay too long, but that's just my style and I only feel qualified to comment on ELB.
You can find the best arrow pass/grip position later. If you want a fatter handle you can add a bit of leather on the back before you wrap it with leather (this also rounds off the flattish back).
Don't get suckered into marking out a Yew stave as if it's a perfecty even block of wood, go with the flow.
With a long bow, it's all less critical anyway.
Del
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:55:37 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 02:08:03 pm »
I like to hunt. A 12 in non bending handle would result in a bow that's too long for my woods. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!