Author Topic: attaching fur silencers  (Read 2408 times)

Offline aero86

attaching fur silencers
« on: November 06, 2010, 06:32:36 pm »
whats the best way to attach silencers to the string?  ive got a bit of rabbit fur. should i spiral wrap it, or just have a piece so long and just glue it to the string?  thanks!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: attaching fur silencers
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 06:49:11 pm »
I use 1/4" strips of hair on skin and remove the hair about 1/4" from each end. I then seperate the string bundle in haly, stick one of the ends into the gap and wrap the silences in the direction of the twist. Ehen you are near the end of the silencer seperate the string again and slide that end into the string. I generally do both silencers then string the bow and pull the tag ends of the silencers until they are tight. You can either cut the tags off opr leave them. Doesn't really matter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:18:37 pm »
Aero86, you might find that rabbit fur is not very durable as the skin is very soft. If it doesn't stand up to shooting try coyote , or some of the others sold in catalogs like 3Rivers Archery.

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:27:35 pm »
thanks pat!  worked good!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:10:18 am »
Aero86, you might find that rabbit fur is not very durable as the skin is very soft. If it doesn't stand up to shooting try coyote , or some of the others sold in catalogs like 3Rivers Archery.

Shinnery is right.  Those cottontail skins I put on my bow 6 years ago are already showing some wear.  Of course, they were still blood warm from being skinned off the very first animal I ever shot with a bow of my own, not some commercial tanned material.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:41:25 am »
im  not too worried about durability.  i shoot this bow, a lot.  so itll probably wear out long before it should.