Author Topic: Hickory kid bow,w/ handle pics added  (Read 5449 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Hickory kid bow,w/ handle pics added
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 01:38:55 pm »
Great lookin bow Pete!  Some lethal arrows for the kids to be shootin...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline PeteC

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »
I know,I know,Eddie has already hit me about the arrow.It was just all I had down at the house. ;D God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline PeteC

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 01:45:20 pm »
Yes Paul,I've got a story,but it is'nt a good one.I was hoping for another chance at a particular doe,and gettin' the point back.Since we can't shoot does again till 2 days at thanksgiving, I guess my odds are'nt lookin' to good.Here's what happened.Opening mornin',about 7:30,a big old doe came down one of the intersecting trails near the tree I was in.She stopped 15 yards broadside.I hit anchor took aim,had a great crisp release,but watched in horror as my arrow,tipped with the point you knapped me,porpoised toward the deer.It did'nt have room to recover and hit with the point down,so,instead of a perfect heartshot,it hit 3" low,burying up in her sternum,directly behind her front leg.Another words,she was probably awful sore for a couple of weeks,but I've been sick as all get out about it since then.The cane shaft I hafted the point to,had a 69 # spine,and shot without a single wiggle in the 5 test shots I made with it.I picked that shaft, because the Georgia chert point weighed in at 190 gr.and it was a perfect combination. What caused the bad arrow flight,however, was very embarrassing,as it's never happened before,and, for sure I won't let it happen again.My nock point on my string,had loosed,and was beginning to unravel,and that morning in the dark,I missed the fact that it had slipped down my string a little.Enough ,that with the high spined arrow,it struck the arrow shelf with enough force to cause a porpoise. I'm still gonna be lookin' for her,and who knows,maybe my wife, or I, will get an opportunity to get that nice point back. Sorry I did'nt have a better story.God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline david w.

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 09:08:48 pm »
Thats beautiful :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 11:52:33 am »
Another great entry for Nov Self BOM contest!  Nice Bow Pete!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 12:16:13 pm »
That's too bad about the miss Pete, but at least you were out there huntin - that's more than I can say for myself ;D. PM me your address if ya would sir ::).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.