Author Topic: Eastern Red cedar stave? Picture added  (Read 13901 times)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Eastern Red cedar stave? Picture added
« on: November 03, 2010, 09:47:21 pm »
Does any body have some personal experience with this?  I have a stave I cut and sealed then spilt.  I cut it extra long to be safe and I took the bark off of it.  Planning on making this my 1st attempt at a bow from a stave.  I may get to post a pic later of it.  Appreciate any tips or help offered.  Thanks :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:41:11 am by beetlebailey1977 »
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline bryan irwin

Re: Eastern Red cedar stave?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 10:03:16 pm »
theres a couple people on here that has made bows from cedar.
bryan irwin

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:03:48 pm »
Love ERC. Easy to work, smells great, and looks fabulous. I have made mine a little wide and I leave a little bit of sap wood on the back. I also have backed all mine with rawhide.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:18:56 pm »
 What nugget said and saw a great one made with all sapwood. Just start out about an 1 3/4" to 2" at the fades and slowly taper it till the last 1/4 of the limb.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline beetlebailey1977

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:42:18 pm »
planning on at least 2" wide or so and 68" long.  Need to follow the rings on the back rite?  Rawhide or sinew is what I have been told.
Happy hunting to all!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 12:18:33 am »
Rawhide is ideal for ERC. It is relatively light but very strong. I like the look of a rawhide backing too. It can also be decorated easily if desired.
  I don't think you need to be 2" wide for a 68" bow.  If your draw is 28" you can probably get away with 1 1/2" at the fades. ERC makes a good ELB style bow too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ironhead

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 12:33:00 am »
I've got an ERC sapling bow that I'm just finishing up (64"ntn, 55lbs @ 28").  I used the first ring under the cambium for the back, no backing.  Like Nugget said it works easy, smells and looks good.  It's 1 7/8" at the fades and tapers to 1" at the tips.  It could probably be a little narrower at the tips, but I'm pretty new at this and I'd rather have a slightly overbuilt bow than 2 sticks.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 12:46:34 am »
I've made several bows out of 'Cedar".  I've used collected staves of Colorado red cedar  (Very close relative of ERC) and lumber yard ERC.  I think it makes fine bows, and the cured wood smells great.   A good clear stave will make a self bow.  I've treated it as a "white" wood and used the layer under the bark as the back.   Others on this forum have suggested removing some or all of the sapwood.  On most staves, that will make a prettier bow as more of the colored heartwood is left in the bow.   Junipers, in general, are weak in tension, so you may want to back your bow.  Backing will be necessary if there are flaws in the back.  I have successfully used sinew, ash, hickory and bamboo.  Silk is also a possibility.  Rawhide is favorite for others.
ERC is not a very dense wood, so bows will typically be made a little wider than you might do for heavier woods.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline beetlebailey1977

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 11:11:06 am »
Hey yall Thanks for the help.  I actually draw 30" so I want to over build it.  The bow has a twist where the handle will be but the tips come back in line with each other.  It is a clear stave as it came from the interior of a multi trunk tree.  I may not back it and I might use rawhide will have to decide when I get there. :)
Happy hunting to all!

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 11:34:51 am »
Be careful if using power tools, ERC dust can be pretty nasty stuff. 
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 11:03:10 am »
In my experience (and reading), the sapwood is good in tension, and the heartwood is good in compression, not unlike yew.  So an all sapwood bow tends to take set, and an all heartwood bow tends to explode.  In fact, ERC bows in general want to explode.  And when they go, look out!  I've made a few ERC selfbows that have survived, but if you want to make a hunting-weight bow, it's safest to back it.

If the heart/sap transition doesn't meander too much in your stave, you should try to leave a thin layer of sapwood for the backing.  Follow the grain, especially if you don't back it.  This is tricky with ERC, just be gentle and use good lighting, and you can follow the grain.

It's very difficult to introduce any significant bending from steam or heat, so don't plan on that.

I love ERC, in spite of (or maybe because of) its challenges.  It grows like weeds here, it's easy to work, looks georgeous, light in the hand, and makes a very zippy bow.  Good luck!

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:10:40 am by Stickhead »

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 06:55:00 pm »
I've made three of them. Two exploded, all me, and one hangs permanently braced on the wall of my friends hunting camp.  It only pulled fifteen pounds. These were some of my early efforts, and I would like to try ERC again, only as others have suggested using a rawhide backing, or maybe Ash.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 07:13:17 pm »
every ERC self bow i have worked on has exploded unless soaked in water (see the bow gigging post).  So if you make a hunting version am I right to understand you leave some sap wood on and make the limb wider?  what design pyramidal or propeller-esque?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 09:33:39 pm »
if i remember right
someone a short while back posted a beautiful erc bow
it was wide,i think pyramid style,excellent tiller
just gorgeous looking wood for a bow
but never used it so know idea how well it works
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline beetlebailey1977

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 09:40:33 am »
Ok well I plan to start roughing it out more this week.  I plan to leave most of the sap wood as it is and just scrape it down some.  Should I try to follow the grain on the sides or does it matter?  I plan to rawhide back it.
Happy hunting to all!