Author Topic: couple of questions  (Read 3854 times)

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
couple of questions
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:32:02 pm »
 Being that I'm cheap by nature I have been reading post on the two fletch arrows and want to try that for hunting arrows. I have read post but most are shot with field points. Does anyone have personal experience shooting broadheads with a two fletch ? I have a gift card from 3 rivers and wanted to buy the unviversal low profile banana chopper. Universal means right or left wing and two fletch means less feathers. Told ya I'm cheap.
Also I pass by a lot of stands of river/hill cane ( dont know the difference) on the train and want to cut some for arrows. What size should I cut ?I hunt with 50 lb bows for the most part.
Thanks,
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:56 pm »
I can't address the two fletch question, but I can tell you that I have used a Lil Chopper in the Raptor cut on left wing, right wing, and tailfeathers...no problem.  Secondly, I quit using the chopper because it is much easier to mount fletching with my Arizona easy fletch when they are uncut and it is quicker to just trim with a scissors like Ishi used. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 02:57:42 pm »
You want to cut cane that is about 3/8" in diameter at the base. You also want to cut mature cane, ones that the paper sheaths at the nodes are partually dertrriorated or gone altogether. Color change seems also to be an indication of maturity. When young(first growth year) the the culms are bright grees. As they age they turn more of an olive green or yellow green. If they have already turned tan or brown, leave them be.
  I have a few arrows, cans and sourwood shoots, that are two fletched either Cherokee style or modern style and they have stone, trade points or commercial points. If the arrows are made well, two fletch will shoot as well as any other fletching style.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline n2huntn

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:17:43 pm »
Thanks JW, thamks Pat.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:35:32 pm »
I favor two fletch over three...unless im fletching with whole feathers.

Flight is the same.

Offline n2huntn

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 07:52:27 pm »
thanks aznboi, I can't wait to try some 2 fletch and see how they fly..

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:37:24 am »
Two-fletch fly well with broadheads if they're done right. The Eastern Woodlands style two-fletch works great with broadheads or stone points. I don't know about just sticking two low-cut banana fletches on there opposite each other, though, I wouldn't trust it myself. Might work if you put enough helical on them. You need a two-fletch style that was designed for two feathers, not just leaving  a feather out on a normal fletch.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline n2huntn

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 08:21:33 pm »
I was planning on fletching along the lines of a post by dustybaer and a few others who had tried two fletch of different length and shape. Just haven't seen anyone try it with heads.
quote author=Hillbilly   You need a two-fletch style that was designed for two feathers, not just leaving  a feather out on a normal fletch.
 What is a normal two fletch style other than opposite each other? Thanks for the replys.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 11:37:02 pm »
The best two-fletch style that I have tried is the Eastern Woodlands fletch that was used by most of the eastern Indian tribes. It consists of two whole feathers that are partially peeled on one side, fastened tangentially. It is a very stable fletch for field points or broadheads either one. It flies much better for me than a couple of split feathers glued opposite each other, especially when you have a broadhead on the front.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline n2huntn

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 10:20:30 am »
 I tried one done that way. It did fly well with an old Bear head but was noisy. Maybe I didn't do it right. Might need to pull the feathers tighter so there's no gap between feather and shaft.
Thanks,
Jeff

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 08:37:32 pm »
Yeah, you don't want any gap, and you want to trim the height of the feathers down.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline n2huntn

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 09:21:36 pm »
Thanks Hillbilly,
I figured I did something wrong seeing as NA's have used them successfully for so long. And thanks for the help.
Jeff

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 12:25:48 am »
When tying on 2 fletch I leave the forward end of the quill long and strip it. When the rear of the feathers are secure begin wrapping the forward end a few wraps to secure the feathers then pull that long tag until the feather lays flat of the shaft. Once it is tight  trim the excess quill and continue the wrap past the end of the quill.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline n2huntn

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 12:30:16 am »
Thanks Pat,
 I have a sack full of feathers from some turkeys I bow killed so I'll give it a try.
Jeff

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 02:40:51 pm »
It helps to turn the dull side of the feather out, too-easier to get it flat to the shaft.
Smoky Mountains, NC