Author Topic: Another Outing (pics)  (Read 1961 times)

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
Another Outing (pics)
« on: October 30, 2010, 01:00:48 pm »
I got off work early yesterday and decided to spend a few more hours in the woods looking for supplies.  As stated in my previous thread - http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22042.0.html - the first snowfall of the year never lasts very long.  Here is a picture of the same trail I took a few days ago.  It looks quite different without a blanket of snow!

Tuesday / Friday

I have never seen a deer in the river valley, but there is sign everywhere I look.  Rubs, beds, tracks, and...

Found more arrow material too :)
Collecting this stuff usually involves crawling through some of the thickest bush around!  But worth it ;)

Must have been a tough rabbit to snack on this bark!

I was planning to take more pictures, but my camera batteries died :(
I'm planning to spend some time down at the river.  I'll be sure to post pictures when I do :)
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline aero86

Re: Another Outing (pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:19:26 am »
you found chocolate covered raisins just layin around?!?!?  lucky!  lol

nice pics yet again!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 11:24:02 am »
Beautiful stuff there NortherArcher

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:44:21 am »
nice trail to be on there
looks like they pound that one on a regular basis

is that osier in them pics?
wish i only had to crawl thru brush to get my osier,this year weve had so much rain.if i want to get any osier i have to wade thru
thigh deep swamps to get to it(or deeper) just not worth it to me this year

did you snack on them "raisenettes" or just take the pic?  ;D  jk

looks like yo have a nice spot to hunt there
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 12:18:52 pm »
do you have porcupines there ??
I was just thinking that maybe that's what was chewing on that bark.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 09:57:18 pm »
I haven't seen any porcupines in the river valley, but I have seen them elsewhere around Edmonton, so it could be.  I hadn't considered that.

As far as hunting goes, this would be a great area, if it wasn't in the middle of the city.  Edmonton's river valley is the largest urban park system in North America, much of it wooded like in these pics.  It is a great place to 'disappear' into when I need some time alone in the woods, but there are a lot of developed trails and parks as well.  This particular trail, for example, leads to a large open space that is used as an off-leash dog park, just before it reaches the river.

There is, however, excellent hunting in the bow zone just outside the city.  We have Whitetail, Moose, Coyote, Grouse, Rabbits...
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."