Author Topic: flint river collecting info.  (Read 3314 times)

Offline knap_123

flint river collecting info.
« on: October 27, 2010, 11:02:01 am »
i was going to albany fri. to get some flint and was doing all the research i need to go were i needed and not waste time and money. so i aked on the gon forum and a fellow replyed that all the ares were closed that were open. and the city was prosecuting if they caught you collecting.  well in the meantime i had meet a collector who is a city official for albany and a law enforcer of sorts.  he told me were to go and what not and offered to take me to some areas.  but i received the others guys message and decided i better call my new friend back and double check. so he replyed with"  John,

I read your e-mail concerning the collecting of flint along the canal and contacted Dougherty County’s DNR Ranger Ben Roberts. I explained that you were interested in collecting samples of flint from the canal’s edge. No artifacts – just flint. He told me that as far as he was concerned, there was no issue with collecting rock samples. He also stated that it would be a good idea to contact the city for permission. I have a call into the City of Albany (229) 431-0124 (Albany’s 311) and am waiting for an answer. Apparently, this area was fenced off after a body was found in the back of an SUV a year or so ago and illegal digging of artifacts on private and public properties was occurring. There is a very large Indian village site there and produced a lot of points back in the day. The city has since been discouraging activity in this area. I will keep you posted as to what the city says. Also, I will send you an e-mail with pictures of another site in Lee County that I have permission to enter. You look at the pictures of the flint at the pond site and let me know if you are interested. It may be a few days before I get back out to that side of the county to take pictures.

Jim

just wanted to share tis so no body waste a trip  or gets into trouble.

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
Re: flint river collecting info.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:17:38 pm »
knapp123 I live in sylvester and would be interested in helping look for flint send me a pm with your # and i will give you a call thanks Mike.
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.