Author Topic: Take Down idea?  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Kegan

Take Down idea?
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:03:53 pm »
I'm still looking for a better T/D mechanism. The idea is to emulate, to a degree, the Tomahawk T/D latch. What I'm thinking is to cut the bow carefully in half, and drill two holes into the handle (on the back of the bow) about 1" or so from the cut. Into the holes bolts are inserted (so far, I'm not thinking that the holes would be threaded- just slide the bolts in). A piece of steel with two holes is held under the bolts tight against the riser. When the bow is braced, the tension of the bow strung will pull against the steel and pinch the handle tight together. If there is no looseness between the butt ends when unbraced, there should be little to no wobble or looseness when drawn and shot. Likewise, the curve of the metal could conform to a deflexed riser just as easily as a straight riser, so long as the bolts are properly filed to sit flat against  the metal.

Any thoughts or opinions? Anyone think this would/wouldn't work?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Take Down idea?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 12:23:00 am »
I think your sleeve idea was pretty good. I have thought about the style you are referring to ever since I read TBB 1. The drawback for me is that the handle cover has to be removable for assembly or dis assembly. I wouldn't dare shoot without the wrap for fear of pinching my hand. This is the only reason I haven't build a hinged bow also. Have you watched the video on youtube for assembly and dis assembly of these bows? It makes the sleeve seem better all the time.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 01:08:06 am »
Mike Treadway invented the take down system that Tomahawk uses. He used phenolic to strengthen the riser at the joint for the takedown system.  I think he used a rubber tube for the grip cover. Like a section of bycicle tire tube.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 09:08:34 pm »
Justin- the wrapped sleeve does work well, but I want to try something different. Trying to get to a point where I can use a wider range of bows/handles for a takedown, so having different methods should help. I've done hinges too and they've never bit my hand- but the hinge I made took alot of set (more than the bow). Never seen the video though?

Pat- I think 3Rivers is using a surform grip, whatever those rubber ones are called. Personally, I'm not too discouraged by not using a grip. That phenolic reinforcement though, where was it located? Was it just on the butt ends or was it part of the actual latch?

I have a stave that's drying that might make a good candidate for this experiment. If it doesn't survive, it's not like I'd be out that much, the troublesome twisty begger!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:03:00 am »
I'm not sure how he used the phenolic, whether it was for tollerance reasons or for strength or both. Mike has invented quite a few different take down systems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 01:34:09 pm »
Thanks Pat. Right now I think that so long as the metal strap can hold up to the forces of tension, any other issue can be dealt with easily enough. Just have to get the sacrificial test bow in the hot box to dry and see how it goes :)

Wish me luck!