Author Topic: Bodark seeds or plantings  (Read 7521 times)

Offline Catahoula

Bodark seeds or plantings
« on: October 23, 2010, 09:46:54 pm »
Hey guys,

Probably the wrong place to ask advice...but...sure would like to plant some osage trees here on my land in SC.  Any idea where I might get seeds or order plantings?  I know I will be dead and gone before they really get going but sure would be nice to pass down to family.

Keep it in the road:),

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Bodark seeds or plantings
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:48:55 pm »
Hey Rand: This is a fine place to ask. I'm in TX of course but in IL right now (working) but there's horseapples laying around everywhere this time of year. Sure somebody will send you a box for the price of shipping "Hint" and you can get em going. There is a certain way to get the seeds to germinate and sprout - ask PatB. From what I've read osage is a fast growing tree and you may be surprised at how few years it will take to get a bow outa one. I could be dead wrong about this but ya never know...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 11:20:41 pm »
Rand...I can send you a Box....you pay Priority Mail One Rate Shipping Costs...and I will pick you some tomorrow...remember that they have to nearly Freeze before they will germinate....You can store them in the Bottom drawer of the Fridge for a couple weeks...or till Spring...then go ahead and plant them
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 11:36:43 pm »
When I was living up in Nebraska the state extension office offered seedling trees and one of the types they sold was osage.  I planted 50 of them in 95.  In 2007, when we moved to Texas, about a dozen were still alive and the tallest tree was about 7' tall with a trunk about 2" in diameter.  I suspect with more water (and maybe fertilizer) than we had they'd grow a little faster.  I doubt the lady that bought our acreage has any idea what they are or would keep them if the thorns ever got her.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 09:32:43 pm »
Ok,

That sure was quick!  El D. I would be glad to pay postage(just let me know where to and how much)  I got a place in the fridge for them...so it would be ok to leave them in the fridge till Spring and them plant them?  Maybe plant in flats so I can keep an eye on them them...then set them out.  Pat B. planted some at one time or another?...does Osage attrack chiggers cause he grows big 'uns.:)

Thanks!

Rand

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 10:16:38 pm »
I put my apples in a bucket of water and let them do their thing ( kinda decompose) Per PAtB. Then when spring rolled around I planted them. Now I have about a dozen 18imch osage trees growing. Gonna transplant them to their final growing space as soon a sthey go dormant for the winter.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 02:43:03 am »
Rand...I already picked the Apples...they are already falling on the Ground...I can send you a 12x12x5 One rate Priority Mail Box for $14.50...let me know if this is OK...and if it is just send me a check on Money Order for it to

Michal Roberts
P.O. Box 5627
Borger, Texas 79008
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 01:24:10 pm »
Hi Michal,

Check will be in tomorrows mail.  I am:
Rand Rowe
1137 Old English Road
Lugoff, S.C. 29078

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 01:27:57 pm »
Nugget,

Ok...gonna do it the same way...got lots of space here and there...some near the pond and lots of space in the woods and some cleared space too...wonder what they like the most?

Rand

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 06:36:33 pm »
I've seen em growing everywhere but the straightest cleanest ones are in the low areas among lots of other trees around creeks and lakes and such. Like any other tree, they'll grow straight up for the sun.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 08:37:13 pm »
You want Bow Wood...You just train them early...Your Going To Be A Bow!!...and Prune the low branches also as they grow...this will stimulate upward growth
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 09:09:13 pm »
ok,

That sounds good to me..."You are gonna grow straight and tall dammit!"  My daughter almost hit 6 feet so I can grow 'em!

Thanks for all the advice!

Rand

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 05:30:16 pm »
i've planted several osage seedlings on my farm here in s.c. and because of the lack of rain they have grown very little.  i looked at some i planted about 3-4 years ago and they are up to 4'.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 11:55:23 am »
There are Big,old,osage orange trees along the left side of the road just past Mont Claire,Going towards Society hill, (between Darlington and Society Hill). (Least ways there were back in the seventies), When the leaves fall,they are easy to see.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Cacatch

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 03:52:22 pm »
Sage can grow pretty fast, it just all depends. I've got a tree that started sprouting up around 2000 (give or take a year) and by now, 10 years later has a trunk almost 7" in diameter. It ain't worth a crap for a bow though and actually doesn't look like it will live much longer. It has been split open by something and has some decay but is still very much alive. Of course, it's growing near the edge of a woods, about 15 yards from a pond, on soil that for years used to absorb hog manure. But the hogs were gone and haven't been back since way before it started coming up.

CP