Author Topic: Bow Handle Material  (Read 3339 times)

Offline zodiac703

Bow Handle Material
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:23:23 pm »
Does anyone know what sites you can buy tough leather handles for traditional longbows or any other selfbows? I can find suede strips but I'm not sure where to buy the thick leather in quantity or strips.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Bow Handle Material
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:28:56 pm »
I get my leather for grips from a hobby store close to my house called Hobby Lobby.  They sell scraps of leather in a grab bag for like 5.99.  Usually have 6 or 7 pieces suitable for handle use and I  use it also to make my knife sheaths.   :)  Usually you can find scrap pieces in bundles for sale pretty cheap. Just search the internet for scrap leather if you don't have a Hobby Lobby.  Good Luck!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Cacatch

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 03:46:56 pm »
Another option would be trading for some. It's not a site like you were asking for, but it may be an easy way to get some good leather if you have anything to trade.  It can be useful sometimes too if you are low on cash.

CP

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:57:49 pm »
Tandy Leather Co. is another option.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:08:22 pm »
I've found really cheap leather on eBay, way cheaper than Tandy.  Tandy is a good place to go for leather working tools though.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 09:13:08 pm »
If ya have any saddle makers around you , they always have scarps.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 04:08:46 am »
Here in the neighbour village (in Germany that is) I go to the leather store and search through a HUGH box of scrab leather...
I used Ebay as a sorce before.
Frank from Germany...

Offline zodiac703

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:23:50 am »
ebay seem s like the most useful site so far

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 09:54:14 am »
It depends on where you live!  Why not post where you are from on the Primative site and then we can help with some sources!  Also just what are you looking for in the way of handle leather?  I have lots of scraps and some might be of use to you.  A/ho Pokie
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 10:48:23 am »
Check out your local GoodWill stores or other second hand cloths stores for leather bags, coats, etc for a source of leather for handle wraps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 11:35:39 am »
I have a local saddle shop that will give me all the "scraps" from making saddles. Some of these pieces are several square feet. The pieces he uses for seats are usually thin and super tough. You might want to check the yellow pages for a saddle shop in your area.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 10:02:00 pm »
One beat to he!! leather motorcycle jacket from Goodwill and 20 bow handles later....
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline zodiac703

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 01:29:59 pm »
if any of you are wondering I live in london

Offline BearG

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 05:18:10 pm »
There is a Tandy Leather over there.
I call a lot of people brother, but only count a few as family.