Author Topic: Hickory Shorty  (Read 3275 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Hickory Shorty
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 01:25:21 am »
Just finished retillering the bow.  Heat treated each limb for 30 minutes and the next day I applied a hemp thread backing in bundles like sinew.  I used Titebond.  Didn't feel like paying the extra dollar for a 16oz bottle of TBII.  Worked awesome though.

One thing I majorly screwed up was heating in 7" of REFLEX into one limb and 3" into the other!!!!  I had to heat the reflex back down to 3".

The weight gain feels like 10lbs or more.  I've pulled it to 26" a few times.  Its not shot in yet or a finish put on yet.  But right after unstringing it is dead flat...no set.  And the bottom limb has retained 1.5" or reflex while the top limb has retained 0.5" of reflex 15 minutes after unstringing.  Bottom limb seemed to be much stronger after heat treating...top limb didnt need but 20 or so light scraps here and there to even out some flat spots.

I am amazed at the feel of this bow now...braced at 5.5" the string tension feels much tighter...there is a nice "twang" when the string is plucked.  I really like hickory now :).  Awesome wood to work with.

I can't wait to get some finished pictures up.