Author Topic: Hardwood Shafting  (Read 3600 times)

PeteDavis

Hardwood Shafting
« on: October 13, 2010, 09:25:22 am »

Anybody here shoot ash or hickory arrow shafting?

PD

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
Re: Hardwood Shafting
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:54:10 am »
Got some black ash,good stuff. havent tried hickory.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Offline sulphur

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:06:06 am »
tried both.  the ash tends to need straightening fairly often and will just explode if you hit something hard enough.  but its still very tough.  Hickory is super tough almost indestructible, and will weigh in close to 700 grns at 11/32.  Also the hickory stays straight especially if you seal it real good.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 10:56:46 am »
Yes, I have. Hickory is tough but heavy. Ash is not as tough but still tough. Not as heavy though. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:25 am »
Pete,
     Used both of those plus others. Like them both. The hickory will be noticeably heavier than the ash. Have also made them from walnut, black ash, paper birch, hard maple, red elm, and norway pine. My personal favorites are the black ash, and walnut just because of their good looks. But when the arrow hits the critter, you wont go wrong with either of those choices. JMO
    By the way all of mine are 3/8" diameter minimum.
rich

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:42:19 pm »
Damn Rich....at 3/8".....your launching 1000 grain logs....not arrows!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 01:40:34 pm »
El D....Ya I know, but they go clean through them deers....also got a pretty short draw (27" on a good day) and "pull to the head" so they aint as bad as 30" shafts or such. Why I call 'em flyin telephone poles ;D
rich

Offline Ken S

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 11:05:51 pm »
I've used hickory shafts for carp 900gr with point 60'' hickory selfbow

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 11:12:48 pm »
i just checked my 3/8th popular shafts 30inches with bandsaw blade heads and hogback turkey fletch their 560 gr. black walnuts are 640 gr.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 11:26:45 am »
I have a set of fully tapered ash shafts I'm hunting with this year. I have used dowelled ash before and has trouble keeping them straight but these tapered shafts seem to stay straight.   These arrows with trade points, stone points and comercial(125gr) points all weigh between 600gr and 700gr.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 09:16:29 pm »
Sulphur - is that the weight of the bare shaft, or the finished arrow?

I have a set of arrows I made from some unidentified hardwood shoots cut from the North Saskatchewan River Valley.  I haven't spined them, but they fly well from my 60# Osage bow, and they weigh in over 700gr finished.  My favorite arrow material is still Red Osier.  Not a hardwood, but VERY durable.
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 10:37:35 pm »
My first set of arrow shafts were ash.  I cussed and swore at those shafts for the year that I shot them.  Because of their weight, I learned some bad shooting form...basically aiming at the sky for 20 yd targets!  I then switched to sitka spruce and found that I liked them much better.  They are pretty bloody durable and are easy to straighten, that is when they rarely need a little straightening. 

The guy that pushed the ash shafts on me was one of those that believes you literally cannot go to heavy for your shafts, even at the cost of severe accuracy loss.  I'd rather go lighter and hit the vitals dead center than punch a broadhead thru and thru somewhere else.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 03:29:58 am »
i love hickory shafts! so far the only thing that's broken one is this elk...

775gr- they shoot nicely from my HBI 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 10:11:32 am »
Ive used Maple ash oak birch never tried the hickory but I love them may be a little heavy but they are hard hitting for sure.  One heck of a hole through that elk...

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 08:29:09 pm »
Russ - There is a fair amount of Birch where I live.  If I can ever find some that doesn't have twisted grain I'd love to give them a try for arrows.  How did you find the Birch?  Did they fly well?  What kind of weight did you get out of it?

Jason
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."