Author Topic: Wood Bowyers  (Read 6127 times)

Offline Badger

Wood Bowyers
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:17:38 pm »
   I saw a post today on a book and it got me thinking. I have discussed this with Tim Baker a few times and really think it would be a worthwhile project. We have a lot of old bowyers in this country that won't be with us too much longer, some of them are in their 90's and many of them have allready passed. What if we nominated a bunch of bowyers to be published in a book. The top 6 nominations would be the subject of the first book. We have some amazing talent write here in P.A. that could handle the interviews and writing. Maybe have one interviewer and writer per bowyer and try to put out 1 book per year. We could come up with a basic list of questions for the interview and the interviewer could add some of his own. We could talk about the content matter, I personally would like to concentrate more on the bowyer than a how to type manual, hear his pet theories and maybe get a few trade secrets here and their. Old photos and new photos, lots of photos. Maybe the proceeds could go toward building some kind of priimtive archery museum or something along those lines. Very doable project, what do you guys think? Steve

Offline NTD

Re: Wood Bowyers
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 03:44:02 pm »
I think it's an incredible idea.  Unfortunately I have no skills to help with the project.  But I'll buy the books ;) ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 04:31:23 pm »
I like the idea of a collection of short biographies and bow building philosophies. Of course you would want to start with the older bowyers, partly because our time with them may be limited, partly because they have seen the most and are usually most interesting.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 04:47:23 pm »
Allways thinking Steve, i like the way your brain functions,...good Idea !
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 05:34:56 pm »
We have a man named Saffor out here in Ca, lives in the mountains about 100 miles from me that is 94 yrs old, been building bows since he was a kid. Knows all the old greats on a first name basis. He is one guy I would like to interview for sure.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:49:12 pm »
 I think that is a great idea, Steve. I like the idea of a collection of short biographies.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:52:56 pm »
Gotta be done now before those first hand bits of knowledge and history get lost forever
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:54:22 pm by NOMADIC PIRATE »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 05:56:30 pm »
 I used to shoot 3-D tournaments down here with Charlie Kroll. There was a lot of knowledge and stories that went untold with his passing.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 06:13:45 pm »
  Eddie, thats exactly what I am talking about. Everytime I hear that I kind of cringe, knowing we will never have a chance to talk with that guy. I would like to see something not so cleaned up and sterile, real life stuff. Be real easy to get the project off the ground, we could start writing down a format for the interviews ( not strictly adherred to) we could start nominating bowyers etc. Interviews could be dne by phone if need be but I imagine we have enough guys in most states that it wouldn't be too hard to arrange in person interviews.

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 06:17:02 pm »
  Another book I would like to see done is the white wood wars. This took place before I got on the internet and showdown was the start of Mojam. We have several guys still here that were involved in that. David Mimms (DCM)  might be a good guy to work on that one. Some great stories surrounding that period. Steve

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 07:17:53 pm »
That would be a good one, too. The interviews in the old Foxfire boks had a good, easy format. It was fun and relaxing to read, kinda like talking to Grandpa and hearing his stories. It didn't matter how much he embellished them, they were still fun to hear.
Lakeland, Florida

Lombard

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 07:33:03 pm »
Steve, I think it is a sound idea. That is why I liked Mr. Torges book so much. It was not just a bow making manual, but the telling of a story, where at the end, if you paid attention you came away with something more than what you started with. I hope you can put this together, as I like a good read.

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 07:48:39 pm »
   Sounds  good!!!!  nothing  here  that I  know  of???   all  I  have for you  is  good  luck!   NPR   had  a   lot  of  talk  about   story  corp,,,,   seemed  like  a  good   format,, I  think  the  Smithsonian  is  involved?   Jeff

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 05:49:47 am »
Thats a great Idea, I would love to help anyway I can. There are a lot more of these guys out there than you think. Meat one In MI. a few years back,92 at the time,still shooting and has been building all wood bows since he was in his teens,he love Walnut. :) He was there again this year. :) :)   
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 09:00:47 am »
Instead of a book, this could be a series of articles in PA- kinda like the Smithsonian Series....or better yet, it could be a permanent place in the magazine.  One or two interviews per magazine.  It would be cool to read about some of the older bowyers that helped pass down the traditions of making bows!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA