Author Topic: Utah wood bowyers?  (Read 5325 times)

Utahbowyer

Utah wood bowyers?
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:44:28 pm »
There is a fabulous book out, Traditional Bowyers of America. I am interested in doing something similar to this, but limit it to bowyers who work only with wood, and not with fiberglass. Because I live in Utah, this is where I'm interested in starting, but I could possibly expand.
So, who is making wood bows in Utah? Having made one or two isn't quite enough. I'm interested in those who make bows on a fairly regular basis, either to give away or to sell. They should have developed the artform as well as science of it a little bit.
If you meet these qualifications, but do not live in Utah, I'm interested in hearing from you.
Thanks.
Dave Dye

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Utah wood bowyers?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:37:23 pm »
So are you going to make us go find the book to figure out what you are talking about or are you going to tell us what it is about.

There are some great bowyers from Utah, some on this board and some not.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Utahbowyer

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 12:59:09 pm »
The title: Traditional Bowyers of America: The Bowhunting and Bowmaking World of the Nation's Top Crafters of Longbows And Recurves

A partial description from Amazon.com:  This is a great book for anyone interested in Archery, especially Traditional Archery. Even the armchair adventurer will find some wonderful gems in this very well written book. (I read a lot, and know good writing). It contains not only what you would expect from the title, but so much more. Over 500 pages of 20th (21st) century Archery history are featured in the 31 chapters featuring 30 prominent bowyers. A chapter may start with a bowhunting story or painting a portrait of the picturesque settings where a bowyer performs his magic, or any number of ways that pull a reader into a good yarn without the obvious formulaic monotony. Each chapter is as if you bumped into a friend and he said..." I met this guy named Fred Bear (et al) whose been making archery bows over in Grayling. Let me tell you a bit about him.

If you are, or know, a bowyer who lives in Utah, and who makes wood bows (primitive or from boards) for others on an on-going basis, I'm interested in talking with them. I'm limiting this to Utah right now because of my time, proximity, and because there must be some bounds as to the 'subject matter.' And I do realize that there are bowyers who are probably not aware of this website, or who choose to not be here for whatever reason. If you are aware of anyone who qualifies, I would invite you to have them contact me.

Thanks.

Dave Dye
davedyearchery@gmail.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:15:21 pm »
Dan Perry is probably the best known bowyer in Utah. I know many who make bows but shoot targets only, a few who make and shoot flight bows (one holds world records), and a few who just make to be making. There was one feller from Utah who was at the Tennessee Classic a few years ago, but he was too busy talking to finish a bow.  ::)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 08:29:15 pm »
 Sooo,,, I'm kinda confused? Are you looking to write a book, make a bow in Utah and then expand your bowmaking skills to ,,say Colorodo,, or just want to meet somebody that can help you make bows near where you live? Or, are you selling a book?

There are several on this site that are published authors, and have their own website on building bows that are free with how they part with their wisdom and knowledge.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Utahbowyer

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 12:37:21 am »
I apologize for being unclear. I guess that I was under the impression that the book 'Traditional Bowyers of America' was a more widely-read book. Being a psychotherapist by training, I ought to have known better.

As I read through this book, I thought, "It must have been not only a learning experience, but a really fun time, to meet with all of those bowyers."

The purpose of this book, if it ever gets off the ground, is a few-fold:
1) To excite people who read the book about the fun times of making a wood bow
2) To spread the work of those people who make wood bows. Some may be making them for business, whilst others may be making them for fun, but it's something that they find pleasure in.
3) To be introduced to various methods that experienced bowyers use in their trade. (I know that some of this can be found on the Internet, and in various publications, but the thing that makes this unique is that you will read the story of the bowyer along with how they do things.)
4) I make bows myself, so I'm not looking for a tutor or mentor (I am always open to learning, however).
5) I'm limiting it to Utah because of the time factor, primarily. I work full-time counseling, so I can't take off to travel all over the US like Dan has done.
6) I'm surely not trying to push anyone else out of business. If there is a book similar to the one that I have described, I would gladly purchase it. Or if there is a book in the making, I would be happy to back out of the project, or help in another way, to get the book ready to publish.
7) This book is NOT intended to be a 'how to build a bow' book. I anticipate that this may be intertwined with the content, but really, I am hoping to get to the lives, experiences, and motivations behind the bowyers.

I would recommend for those who have not read Dan's book, that they can do so now with little expense. A decade ago it was selling at an unreal price due to being only in the first printing, and that was sold out. Now it is in it's second printing, and much more affordable.

here is a link to where at least part of it can be read:
http://books.google.com/books?id=sYBT1c2NKVoC&pg=PR9&lpg=PR9&dq=traditional+bowyers+of+america&source=bl&ots=K4mfQRI4bA&sig=pU7QQ5ttJPcmekHaW1PBlzXTpV4&hl=en&ei=wXuyTIa9LIL4swPt5YGVDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CDMQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=traditional%20bowyers%20of%20america&f=false

Lest anyone wonder, I am not a friend of Dan's, though I appreciate his work. I have not met him, but have really enjoyed his book. I am hoping that something like this can be put together for wood bowyers. Believe it or not, there are folks out there who would like to build a bow, but for money, time, or whatever, are averse to building with fiberglass. for me it was mostly the extensive set up that seemed to be required (though it's really not that extensive when compared to other things). But when I found out about building a wood bow, and found out that there are artisans and craftsmen who work with wood bows, I was excited. It is this excitement that I hope to be able to share.

I hope that this address concerns and questions that are spoken and unspoken.

Thanks.

Dave Dye

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 12:50:36 am »
Not trying to get my nose brown but I'd say Justin Snyder would be worth a mention.  Course I guess that's not saying much, He's the only bowyer I know in Utah ;D >:D
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 01:02:11 am »
I bought Dan's book years ago(copywrited 1989) and found it very informative. I was researching building a glass longbow at the time. I everntually built one(a failure) and decided I likes self bows better.  ;D  If you can capture what Dan did with his book but for wood bow builders I'd say you will have a very informative book. Back in 1989 Dan only had 2 wood bow builders in his book but there has been a lot of shavings under the work bench since then. If you already haven't, take a long look at our "Bow of the Month" bow collection. Each month more and more seasoned bowyers and newbe's are building incredible wood bows; some selfbows and some all wood lambows but most quite incredible.
  Justin and Dan are the only wood bowyers I know from Utah. I'm sure there are more just like in every other state.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Utahbowyer

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 01:40:19 am »
I've browsed through the Bow of the Month section, but haven't really looked closely at it. I do read every word, at least three times, in the 'Primitive Archer' magazine.
Thanks.
Dave

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 01:25:44 pm »
If I were trying to write this book, I would make a trip to the Tennessee Classic and Mojam to meet a few more bowyers.

SW Utah