Author Topic: Question about kid's bow's  (Read 2508 times)

Offline PeteC

Question about kid's bow's
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:41:38 pm »
I'm building a deflex/reflex osage bow for my grand-daughter.It will be a little bitty kids bow.I've got it tillered 14#@15" right now.It's 36" long,a little less than 3/4" at it's widest.(It'll shoot a 296gr, kids arrow 90 yards at 15" of draw.That's more than 21 gr./# of arrow weight).Does this weight and draw sound about right to ya'll? I sure would appreciate input from you kid bowyers. Thanks,and God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline macbow

Re: Question about kid's bow's
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:21:50 pm »
Pete you didn't give a age for your grand daughter.  When I started my grand kids at age 5 they had about a 20 inch draw I'M guessing at about 12 pounds and 48 inch bows.
Yours sounds like a good shooter but might be a little tough for a "little bitty kid".
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 09:41:22 pm »
Ron,she is not due till January, ;D,I'm just gettin' a runnin' start.I thought it might have been a little much,but have not built one this small before.I'll take it down a few more pounds.Thanks for responding. God Bless

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 10:03:44 pm »
Pete
    You might like to look at this way. When ya first start 'em out you are going to want 'em to learn form and that's easier with lighter weights (ya can allways get 'em closer to the target). The second "big" thing is to have it be fun and less weight at a young age will give that too. At the beginning (real small and young) they wont pull far, but as the form gets better the draw will go up and so will the weight. I made my granddaughter's 1st bow 8 lbs at a 12" and she shot that well for a couple of years.
     The other thing is it helps for the first arrows to make some that are wood shafts (1/4" dowel rods) but taper them for glue on heads but dont put the heads on. They will "stick" in a target ok, and shoot ok out to about 10 yds or so and the speed increase will help them with their aiming (at the start). To make it a lot of fun I had her shooting at plastic gallon milk jugs set on the ground.....that makes a satisfying whack noise when they hit and tickel the kids pink when the arrow sticks. Anyway thats what I did, and ya better get ready for #2 as well cause they grow up so fast you dont know where the time went to. Oh ya, get prepared for when the wife says ......" Pete yer gonna kill one of them kids, what are ya thinkin....."
    The look on their face and the ear to ear grin is priceless.
rich

Offline PeteC

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 10:25:18 pm »
Thanks Rich,that sounds good,as I'm just about there.I figure by the time I finish sand it,the weight ought to be about the same as yours.I'm planning on making some very light weight switchcane arrows.They are easy to make and fly very good.Thanks for replying. God Bless

Offline Story Teller

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 12:44:09 am »
PeteC,

My oldest son began shooting his bow when he was almost 5.  He is now 7.  His bow stacks at about 22" and shoots about 15# at 20 inches.  At age 4 it didn't take him long to build up the form and strength to shoot it well, though his draw was short of 20".  My 3-year-old son likes to shoot his big brother's bow and draws it only about half what his brother can, but it's plenty to get the arrow out to 5-7 yards with authority.  My father built a shorter, stronger bow for my youngest, which he can only draw about 7-8 inches before he isn't strong enough to get more out of it.  His big brother also can't get it all the way back.  My guess is that it pulls about 25# at 16 inches.  It doesn't stop my youngest from loving his bow.

Based on this singular experience, I would say that your bow should be fine as is.  When your granddaughter is younger and can't draw it back all the way, it will be fine, and it will provide lots of growing room.  If she really enjoys it, and the day comes when she needs a bigger, stronger bow... well you'll have the excuse you need to build another.

Enjoy it.  Watching the little ones shoot is a blast!
Story Teller
Story Teller
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 12:48:05 pm »
Thanks for your opinion Storyteller.After sanding,it  came in at 8# at 12 inches,then,I have tillered it to 16",so it should have room for at least a couple of years of growth.Again ,thanks for the replies fella's. God Bless
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:14:19 pm by PeteC »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 08:33:26 pm »
 Pete, I hate building kid's bows. I can't get away from the 28" draw mindset. I just traded a bow to get my 9 year old grandson a 14# recurve. He shoots it better than any bow I have made him.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 08:46:47 pm »
I understand completely.I have worked on several youth bows,and the light weights and shorter draw lenghts just don't seem right. This little bow I'm building now,is nearly beyond reason,but it'll be OK. I got 3 coats of tru-oil on it today.Have to have it finished before the weekend.That's when the baby shower is. ;)  God Bless
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:45:30 pm by PeteC »

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 01:08:03 am »
Good deal pete!!I'm gettin ready to build my 4 yrold neice and 5yr old nephew one and alot of my questions jus got answered!Thanks and keep up the good work!!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA